Has the Dub or original made you hate a character?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Has the Dub or original made you hate a character?

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:59 pm

Whatever language version you're used to, when you heard it in another language did it effect how you see certain characters?

I cant watch Bulma in English without throwing something at the TV.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:00 pm

I actually hate the Japanese version of Babidi. He sounds so annoying. He sounds more like a devious and twisted little troll in the dub, and I prefer that version of him.

Can't think of any others at the moment. :/
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:12 pm

While Vegeta seems like a hothead in the dub, his Japanese voice makes him sound like a smooth operator. XD

Japanese Goku always seemed more childish to me than Dub Goku. It's the way he pronounces things. I found it cute compared to his dub voice, which is (obviously) much more masculine sounding. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:19 pm

Any time they use a woman to do a male's voice, with the exception of kids. Also, USA dub King Kai.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:47 pm

Buruma in English. I can't stand her and want to smack her. I like her character in Japanese and don't feel an animosity towards her at all. And when her usual flaws do show, they simply just make me laugh more than anything.

I also strongly dislike how they portrayed Chi-Chi in the dub. It makes me dislike her greatly too. I think it's also the number one reason that people think she's a bitch. Don't get me wrong, she's very pushy in the Japanese, but not in that same obnoxious and loudmouth way. She's more just the stereotypical "Japanese study mom" and Japanese wife.

I've seen less of dub Videl, so perhaps later on she's a little better, but I found she had the same problem. Came across as just plain obnoxius.

My theory is that Funi seems to think that in order to make female characters strong they have to be bitches. Just another reason why I avoid the dub as much as I can.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: Has the Dub or original made you hate a character?

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:14 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sun May 01, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:25 pm

I hated the Japanese version of Babidi as well. Ugh... I love everyone else in Japanese. The Japanese have a knack for nailing character voices. Some may disagree, but to me Goku's Japanese voice IS Goku, it makes him and his children stand out from all other anime characters.

As far as characters that I really like in the dub I like Oolong's voice a LOT! To me it just fits like two perfectly-stacked Legos. I also really liked Tao Pai Pai's voice for some reason. Mr. Satan's voice is a carbon copy of the original, and Chris Rager nailed the character.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:07 pm

I hated how dub King Cold's voice was much better suited for Freeza.

If Freeza had that dub voice there would be far less complaints about it. Afterall, it's the voice of a slightly effeminate man, not a scratchy sounding old woman.

Meanwhile poor Cold Daio gets turned into a fop.

Ultimate DBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate DBZ » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:09 pm

Goku. Sean Schemeal is so much better to Goku, as the Japanese is just terribble. Its clearly a girl, and the voice is so much worse. I do like some of the bad guys though in japanese, like Freeza. But, not babidi. Vegeta and Piccolo, yes.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:12 pm

Ultimate DBZ wrote:Goku. Sean Schemeal is so much better to Goku, as the Japanese is just terrible. Its clearly a girl, and the voice is so much worse.
:?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:14 pm

Ultimate DBZ wrote:Goku. Sean Schemeal is so much better to Goku, as the Japanese is just terribble. Its clearly a girl, and the voice is so much worse. I do like some of the bad guys though in japanese, like Freeza. But, not babidi. Vegeta and Piccolo, yes.
I haven't had much respect for you before, but 'Goku sounds like a girl, so I don't like him' just lost you any chance of being taken seriously.

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:15 pm

I have a bit of a sentimental attachment to the Funi voices, I won't lie. I do love the way a lot of them sound, but Sabat's Piccolo is nothing in comparison to the original for me. I've grown such a love for the Toshio Furukawa's portrayal. I find myself just smiling at the sound.

As a whole though, I do enjoy a lot of Sabat's work. He's not the best voice actor out there, but I've certainly heard worse. I enjoy a lot of his voices, but when it comes to Piccolo, hands down the original wins.

My favorite English voice by a long shot is Cell. I'm not really sure why, but I really just loved the way he sounded.

Obviously a lot of the Japanese voice are superior... they are the way the voice was meant to sound. But I don't think there are too many English voices that I really dislike a whole lot. Freeza, mostly.
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:18 pm

Goku. Sean Schemeal is so much better to Goku, as the Japanese is just terribble. Its clearly a girl, and the voice is so much worse. I do like some of the bad guys though in japanese, like Freeza. But, not babidi. Vegeta and Piccolo, yes.
Sean's voice was very unprofessional in the beginning (I don't blame him so much as his lack of experience). After having seen his work in later seasons and the redub of the first two seasons, I have grown to like his portrayal of Goku. I don't dislike the Japanese version because it's a girl, but I always felt Sean's voice later in the dub was more fitting to the character. Admittedly, I watched the dub before the sub, so I am probably somewhat biased.

Ultimate DBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate DBZ » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:19 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Ultimate DBZ wrote:Goku. Sean Schemeal is so much better to Goku, as the Japanese is just terribble. Its clearly a girl, and the voice is so much worse. I do like some of the bad guys though in japanese, like Freeza. But, not babidi. Vegeta and Piccolo, yes.
I haven't had much respect for you before, but 'Goku sounds like a girl, so I don't like him' just lost you any chance of being taken seriously.
I never said I didn't like him. I just said i prefer Sean Schemeal. You just love to complain a lot in that big dark basement of oyurs while youron the computer for 7 hours a day. GET A LIFE.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:22 pm

Sean Schemmel did do a good job in a few things, and his Goku work during the Buu saga was overall pretty good. But in terms of talent, and the voice fitting to Goku, he utterly pales in comparison to Nozawa.

EDIT: Oh snap, dude. Death wish, much?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:26 pm

Ultimate DBZ wrote:I never said I didn't like him. I just said i prefer Sean Schemeal. You just love to complain a lot in that big dark basement of oyurs while youron the computer for 7 hours a day. GET A LIFE.
Really now?
Ultimate DBZ wrote:Goku. Sean Schemeal is so much better to Goku, as the Japanese is just terribble [sic]. Its clearly a girl, and the voice is so much worse.
Uh huh. Right.

And lashing out with insults about being in a basement, getting a life? Digging your hole deeper, friend.
Last edited by desirecampbell on Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ultimate DBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate DBZ » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:28 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Sean Schemmel did do a good job in a few things, and his Goku work during the Buu saga was overall pretty good. But in terms of talent, and the voice fitting to Goku, he utterly pales in comparison to Nozawa.

Well, I can respect your oppinion on Goku. Afterall, like they say, the original is alwayes the best. AND ITS TRUE!

EDIT: Oh snap, dude. Death wish, much?
That guy is alwayes just so mean. ALwayes bitching up forums, alwayes complaining, alwayes yelling at ppl, I'm glad they are still nice ppl like you that likes Dragon Ball.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:31 pm

Ultimate DBZ wrote:That guy is alwayes just so mean. ALwayes bitching up forums, alwayes complaining, alwayes yelling at ppl, I'm glad they are still nice ppl like you that likes Dragon Ball.
I'm mean?
Ultimate DBZ wrote:You just love to complain a lot in that big dark basement of yours while you're on the computer for 7 hours a day.
Ultimate DBZ wrote:GET A LIFE.
Uh huh.

Ultimate DBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate DBZ » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:35 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Ultimate DBZ wrote:I never said I didn't like him. I just said i prefer Sean Schemeal. You just love to complain a lot in that big dark basement of oyurs while youron the computer for 7 hours a day. GET A LIFE.
Really now?
Ultimate DBZ wrote:Goku. Sean Schemeal is so much better to Goku, as the Japanese is just terribble [sic]. Its clearly a girl, and the voice is so much worse.
Uh huh. Right.

And lashing out with insults about being in a basement, getting a life? Digging your hole deeper, friend.
See what I mean! You should get baned. Its called an oppinion. Do you know that means.
Dictionary.com wrote:o·pin·ion /əˈpɪnyən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-pin-yuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:37 pm

Lol'd @ Desirecampbell

and UltimateDBZ
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"