Nippon Ijin - TLC past QC done. @new qc round

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Nippon Ijin - TLC past QC done. @new qc round

Post by sangofe » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:56 am

Edit: Please delete all posts here, Mike.
Last edited by sangofe on Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:36 am, edited 23 times in total.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:06 am

Why do you need an encoder?

You could always soft-sub it, considering you're yoinking the footage from elsewhere anyway.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:15 am

Captain Awesome wrote:Why do you need an encoder?

You could always soft-sub it, considering you're yoinking the footage from elsewhere anyway.
Well, I guess we could just use some light karaoke effects or just use lyrics for the background sound in it.

You interested in joining this project?

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:35 am

Soft subbing this may be the best thing for the video quality. Re-encoding the video would just make it look bad. Also, just a suggestion, don't use the fancy karaoke subs that many fansubbers use, they're kinda distracting and annoying. Good ol' fashioned subs might be best for this, just my opinion though.
sangofe wrote:Basically, I have a few "subtitling friends" that I am planning to ask subbing this, but it's no guarantee they'll agree, so I thought it'd be cool to see if Daizex board members would be interested
I think I may know who'll be on board. :P

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:50 am

I'll throw my hat into the ring - though I know nothing about any of the skills needed (I mean, even the editor: I can't friggin' spell) but I'm an extra warm body, should the need arise. And, hey, moral support.

Anyway, you have my support Sangofe. Whatever I can do, I will.

EDIT: OMFGLULZ, Sato: Bad Horse. Bad Horse!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:42 am

SatoSky wrote: I think I may know who'll be on board. :P
Yeah, who? It's not the team from the failed Dragonbox project.
You want in? What's the most trouble here is finding a competent translator, and better video than the mp4 avaible on these forums... (there's not a lot of video quality to lose more than what's already lost, lol)

Desirecampbell:
Well, it seems to me that you have a good grasp of the english language.
And since editors edits the translated scripts into better sounding, more flowing and take away spelling and grammar errors, I think you'd be a good candidate.
Although... EX might had been the best, but I doubt he has time :P

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:31 pm

Just updating to say I've got the translator covered.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:18 am

sangofe wrote:
SatoSky wrote: I think I may know who'll be on board. :P
Yeah, who? It's not the team from the failed Dragonbox project.
Then I've got no clue. :P
sangofe wrote:You want in?
I've got nothing to offer. Except maybe something to do with video encoding...
desirecampbell wrote:EDIT: OMFGLULZ, Sato: Bad Horse. Bad Horse!
That thing was amazing wasn't it!? I thought the ending was kinda meh, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Can't wait for it to hit DVD, with the special commentary and all.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:28 am

Anyone knows the full Japanese name for this, written in Japanese?
Would be easier for finding a better quality raw...

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:15 pm

As written in the upper right corner for the first few seconds, it goes like this:

日本偉人大賞
最強の偉人は誰?

The top row is the kanji for "Nihon Ijin Taisho", and the bottom row says "Who is the strongest ijin?".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:57 pm

Thanks a lot, Herms.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:40 am

I've been searching for a while for a higher quality raw and I haven't come up with anything. :x Oh well, I'm sure it will still turn out great, good luck on the project!

One more thing: Since you will already have a subbing team together, might I suggest that you also consider doing a fansub for the DBZ TV Special 3. I know the video quality is complete garbage but at least it will make the .mp4 Nihon Ijin Taisho video look like a high quality DVD rip. I know that the footage will be hard to work with since it's so hard on the eyes, but I'm sure that out of the crack team you are assembling somebody will be able to touch up the picture a bit. And since the special is mostly movie footage most of the subtitles are already available through the Funi DVD's via Steve Simmons.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:58 am

SSj_Rambo wrote: One more thing: Since you will already have a subbing team together, might I suggest that you also consider doing a fansub for the DBZ TV Special 3.
...Wow, I'd never heard about this...
Maybe I'll contact the "neverchris" to see if he can make a higher resolution VHS rip at least. First we'll see how the subbing project for Nippon Ijin goes.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:40 pm

sangofe wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote: One more thing: Since you will already have a subbing team together, might I suggest that you also consider doing a fansub for the DBZ TV Special 3.
Maybe I'll contact the "neverchris" to see if he can make a higher resolution VHS rip at least. First we'll see how the subbing project for Nippon Ijin goes.
That is a good idea, since he did edit the opening out of the video which could have been a factor in the low quality, getting the video directly from him could get us a better quality version, or at least the full version.

Thank you soooo much for considering subbing the video, as far as I know it is the only piece of film that was made by Toei that was not released in the Dragonboxes, so it really is one of the very rarest Dragonball videos out there.

Also, I really have no experience in subbing or encoding or translating, but I am pretty good at researching things through the web, so if you ever need an extra person for anything just ask me and I'll see what I can do. :)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:50 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Also, I really have no experience in subbing or encoding or translating, but I am pretty good at researching things through the web, so if you ever need an extra person for anything just ask me and I'll see what I can do. :)
Sure, I'm hoping to mostly make this subbing group with people from Daizex community.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:22 am

Doing a rough timing with the audio from the youtube rip.
Hopefully we can find better video, but if not, I'll post process and adjust it to the youtube video...

Herms, you up for some TL checking?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:20 am

sangofe wrote:Herms, you up for some TL checking?
Sure, what should I do?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:05 pm

Herms wrote:
sangofe wrote:Herms, you up for some TL checking?
Sure, what should I do?
Have CCP installed, or anything that can softsub .ass files, download the video from the ftp link I gave you, and the .ass file, and change any translation that is wrong/edit the text after the timecodes.
You edit the script by opening it in any textprogram, such as textpad or notepad etc.
Feel free to make edits to make the language better as well.
I'm currently not home, but I have a file for translated signs I'd like you to check out as well.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:33 am

Meltingice, the encoder, is currently making a work raw.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:07 am

Sorry for the "necro posting", but I gotta post cuz I got a workraw and just did a "fine timing" from it now, so herms, use the file that says Nippon Ijin Taisho 2007[rough TL&fine timing done].ass