Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sintzu » Wed May 15, 2019 12:42 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:36 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if their 2025 "Remastered in Ultra HD" release also sees diminishing returns compared to previous pre-orders of the series.
That'll have the grain back but it'll be in 16:9 so that fans will want to buy their 40th anniversary set in 2029.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 pm

Sorry all of these are late. Couldn't reply for a little while, but I saw no one replied to most of these.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:03 am
Can't edit my previous post above so anyway, below you see a before and after comparison. This was done by the Spaniard distributor Selecta Visión and as anyone can see, they hardly changed anything on the "remastered" version which I'm glad because it's left nearly untouched.

Image

FUNimation could do a similar release with small improvements and call it a day but they think we love DBZ all DNR'd up. :thumbdown:
They COULD, but that would require them to actually care about remastering than selling a product.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:46 am
Okay, FUNimation wouldn't want to re-dub Z again but they could have at least made English versions of OP1, ED1, OP2, ED2 and Day of Fate ~Spirit Vs. Spirit~.

FUNimation did an amazing job with the Dragon Ball Kai songs but after that they dropped the ball completely, Kai TFC's OP/ED weren't dubbed and now that it's the 30th Anniversary they're not going to dub the songs either.

I have always wanted to hear FUNimation make a cover of CHA LA HEAD CHA LA but guess it ain't ever happening. :(
Why did you expect Kai TFC's opening & closings to be sung by another singer than the guy Toei had make the songs? Toei specifically commissioned TFC to be for the international market originally. It's just like the first opening for Super. The original singer made an English version of the song &, thus, didn't want them to dub it. FUNi had to comply with both situations. Not much they could do, really.
Char Aznable wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:54 am
I’m curious how many people out there calling this total trash own or have owned in the past a set of the orange bricks. I know you’re out there somewhere. Now there’s a trash release.

I get it, people are angry because it’s marketed as an anniversary collector’s set and the remastering process they’re using is geared more for a mass release, but everyone’s expectations were unrealistic in the first place. Some people thought broadcast audio would be on here, I mean come on. If this were the mass release and the Levels were the collector’s set I’m sure people would be totally happy with that, that’s probably how it should be, but that went out the window when the orange bricks became the most successful home release of DBZ probably ever. I didn’t buy that garbage, because I saw the widescreen cropping and the missing lines as what it is - total garbage. To this day, I haven’t purchased a single cropped release, DVD or Blu-ray sans the movies which are meant to be 16:9, and those cheap Walmart ‘versus’ discs out of morbid curiosity to finally see how they look on my television. If people didn’t buy those orange bricks in droves, I wouldn’t be over here considering a 4:3 release that looks slightly better than the also cropped season sets a small victory. I’m sorry, but if you bought an orange brick brand new at any point, you helped contribute to get to where we are now. This shouldn’t be a collector’s set, this should be the damn season sets! Unfortunately we’re ten steps back at this point.

Calling your fellow fan ‘stupid’, ‘idiot’, or ‘retarded’ is beyond uncalled for, and like I said if you’re slinging insults while owning a set of orange bricks that you bought brand new, you’re doing it from a glass house.

I will likely only be lurking in this thread if it continues down this course moving forward, but I simply couldn’t without saying my final piece on this matter.
I've been waiting to say this. How does owning a set of the Orange Bricks, then knowing & admitting they're bad, then shitting on anyone who buys a newer, just as shitty, release make anyone a hypocrite? If anything, that makes you more of an authority on how bad the releases can be because you've seen them. I used to have them, the 5 later ones, because I got them when I was a kid. Does that make ME a hypocrite when saying these suck & people are kinda stupid for buying them if they're not collectors who'll buy them just for the sake of having them or legitimately don't know that they're bad?
I mean, I've seen people justify the Orange Bricks with the audio options & the fact that it's the entire series in one place for an affordable price, which is what FUNi was going for. I think it's incredibly stupid to just base your purchase on those things, but I'm not those people. And, unfortunately, those people have a point. FUNi has continually supplied us with absolutely mediocre at best releases for the de facto affordable DVD & BR releases, so I can't blame anyone who doesn't know anything about these things to know better, but the people that know they're bad & have to justify shit video quality with other things, I think are safe to say call them stupid. But, if the people know they're bad & have them for collector's or archival purposes for the sake of making sure they have a copy to show people how terrible they are. No one here's saying the Orange Bricks are any good, so no one's being hypocritical, my guy. Just owning them doesn't make one a hypocrite for calling other releases bad. You just assumed here.
coola wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:14 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:54 pm
Here's a very in depth video regarding the set and the general history of the series on home video here, it was definitely an interesting watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=spii3SOhi0Y
It really is like 2006 all over again, i swear it's like Funimation higher-ups didn't noticed there are social media nowadays, and they can easily tare apart terrible releases, Toei, please, take license away from Funimation. And please, don't buy this crappy boxset.
I don't think Toe's gonna take the home video rights away from FUNi, honestly. When you license something, generally the licensor puts the home media rights in the contracts. FUNi initially sublicensed the home media rights to Pioneer, after all, back in the 90s. However, I think Toei's also at fault. They legitimately don't give a shit what FUNi does with their footage, or else they would've never let them alter their footage so heavily over & over again. Considering they also had the super truncated development of Super, which lead to numerous infamous animation errors & bad storytellings, it's clear they only care about money. I hope there's a change in management over there, since it's not only DB that's been suffering from their poor management of their stuff. I really don't understand why FUNi doesn't outsource their remastering. Viz does, I'm sure, & FUNi would probably save enough money by doing so, but they don't care. FUNi legitimately has run the gambit on their remasters to the point where they make shitty excuses time & time again, even on a limited edition release where they shouldn't have made them in the first place. Maybe Toei will make a 35th anniversary BR set. Gokaiger was really good for Super Sentai's 35th anniversary set. Even with a slight green tint to the picture, I won't care as long as we get decently accurate colors, line clarity, not as much DNR, & the episodes uncut. Then FUNi can hypocritically, again, license those masters, repackage them, & call THEM the definitive release. They don't care to make their own HD masters as long as they have them, so they'll be the best shot, unfortunately.
Why is it too much to ask for what we want? I know the shitty releases make them money, but they're making over $1,000,000 baseline from this release. That's enough to pay for a good remaster of a cartoon from the 80s & 90s, especially when they have a good 34-68 episodes done already from 2011, a good 1/4 of the series almost. But, no. Cheap releases sourcing artwork from other releases, cheap remasters from already scanned footage from around 10 years ago, & bad products all around. When will FUNi learn? Hell, when will Toei learn? We may never get an answer in our lifetimes, which is sad. It's especially bad since it's the 20th anniversary of their in-house dub as well, so they have even less of a reason to be fucking this up as much as they are.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Tylerman29
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:11 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 pm
but the people that know they're bad & have to justify shit video quality with other things, I think are safe to say call them stupid.
Are people who don't currently own the series stupid for having basically no other option besides spending a months rent on dragon boxes? Are they just not supposed to own the series at all? Do we keep waiting 5 years? 10 years? Some of the rhetoric regarding this set is nothing but toxic. Constructive criticism towards Funi is great and needed, discussing perceived pros and cons of the releases is fantastic, but attacking other fans for having different standards/taste helps nothing. The set is what it is. It's the best release commercially available. This is reality.
Last edited by Tylerman29 on Wed May 15, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 pm

sintzu wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:15 pm
Robo4900 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:10 pm
sintzu wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:33 am
No. I understand fans want the best quality for a series they love and rightfully so, but anything close to 800$ is just unacceptable. Batman the animated series got a respectable remastered set that included 109 episodes and 2 movies for 70$ on Amazon. Based on that, anything above 200$ for Z is too much (unless it's a collector's set with extras).
Though Batman hasn't had five different releases in the past 15 years, three of which are nominally in HD.
You can blame the fanbase for that as they keep buying the same thing over and over again, only to want another release that fixes the previous release's issues. The reason we haven't and won't get a perfect version is because once that happens they won't be able to milk it anymore.
I mean, we're part of the fanbase, so I don't think that that's not entirely true. And, you have half a point, but you're also not assigning any blame to FUNi. THEY'RE the ones controlling these releases. THEY'RE entirely at fault for giving us nothing but shit for over a decade now. The standards have been lowered so much that people are just getting this set for the correct aspect ratio. THAT'S how bad it's gotten with them. Sure, the masses who eat up this crap because they don't know much better is one thing, but FUNi ultimately has the responsibility of giving us a good product.

Also, people, PLEASE stop putting the dollar sign ($) after the number. That's how it's said, but not how it's spelled. It's dollar sign, THEN the number. $70, not 70$. It's just proper.
Tylerman29 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:11 pm
Scsigs wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 pm
but the people that know they're bad & have to justify shit video quality with other things, I think are safe to say call them stupid.
Are people who don't currently own the series stupid for having basically no other option besides spending a months rent on dragon boxes? Are they just not supposed to own the series at all? Do we keep waiting 5 years? 10 years? Some of the rhetoric regarding this set is nothing but toxic. Constructive criticism towards Funi is great and needed, discussing perceived pros and cons of the releases is fantastic but attacking other fans for having different standards/taste helps nothing. The set is what it is. It's the best release commercially available. This is reality.

P.S. Also hey I'm a subscriber of yours :D
Pretty sure I made this point already, but no. I don't begrudge people one bit for being stuck with shit for over 12 years now. I begrudge them accepting it as standard, though. Everyone should be telling FUNi their releases suck & that we want better from them. Mental gymnastics are a bitch, but you CAN overcome them.

Also, cool.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Tylerman29
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 pm

Pretty sure I made this point already, but no. I don't begrudge people one bit for being stuck with shit for over 12 years now. I begrudge them accepting it as standard, though. Everyone should be telling FUNi their releases suck & that we want better from them. Mental gymnastics are a bitch, but you CAN overcome them.

Also, cool.
Well I did my part and sent my complaints a while ago about the set. I bought this set but I'm aware its not a great release. and I want better. I'm just not holding my breath we are getting one anytime soon. I think DB and GT on blu-ray is more likely than a proper Z release at this point.

bigray
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by bigray » Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 pm

Tylerman29 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:15 am
bigray wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:44 pm


$600 is the standard price. 2 people in the last month or so have sold them for that price on this website and another guy listed his for $800... No one is paying $1000 for these.

You're forgetting that HD doesn't mean quality. Who cares if it's HD when you get better image details and over all anime feel with a DVD? Showing their age is a good thing. Because it was made in that age. Why would you change something to look more modern when it isn't modern.

You're not gonna go get old black and white photos of your grandparents and run them through a processor to look HD?
$600 ISN'T the standard price...check the completed sold listings on ebay..consistantly selling between $950-$1500. A couple of rare instances on these forums does not mean anything.

The level sets pretty much shit all over whatever notion you have of "HD not meaning quality". The Kai blu-rays and level sets are perfect examples of how this show can look good in HD if done correctly. Putting something on a modern format doesn't mean the content is made modern..it's just presented in higher resolution..which isn't a negative. Old films look spectacular in 4K because the higher resolution improves the image..your argument makes no sense whatsoever. If you prefer your shit to look like ass because it looked like ass when it came out due to the format limits of the time, then that's your hill to die on.
They're not random instances. My friend is literally selling the set for $900aud right now. That is the regular going price, other people can charge more but plenty are for sale for $600.

Ok maybe you're right but for this situation you cant use an example with the level sets when you know they aren't that good lol. You prefer shitty HD over original. You say it looked like ass when it came out, it didn't and doesn't. If it did then we wouldn't have watched it. It was great art.

So you prefer the shit HD look over the nice SD look?

User avatar
Tylerman29
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:16 am

bigray wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 pm

They're not random instances. My friend is literally selling the set for $900aud right now. That is the regular going price, other people can charge more but plenty are for sale for $600.

Ok maybe you're right but for this situation you cant use an example with the level sets when you know they aren't that good lol. You prefer shitty HD over original. You say it looked like ass when it came out, it didn't and doesn't. If it did then we wouldn't have watched it. It was great art.

So you prefer the shit HD look over the nice SD look?
Point me to anyone other than your "friend" selling them for $600 USD. I'll wait. "Level sets aren't that good"? In what reality? Standards change, we accepted it because that was the best thing at the time... I can't believe I have to explain why newer video formats are better than older ones.

I prefer a "mediocre HD release at a reasonable price" to paying a months rent for a standard def DVD set that isn't even a perfect re-master either. I'm not saying the DBoxes look bad (they look great in fact), but DVDs have limitations, and I've seen how good the show can look when remastered properly in HD.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sintzu » Thu May 16, 2019 2:53 am

Scsigs wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 pm
You're also not assigning any blame to FUNi. THEY'RE the ones controlling these releases. THEY'RE entirely at fault for giving us nothing but shit for over a decade now.
I fully agree. Funimation clearly doesn't care about the brand as they don't care how much they saturate the market or how their quality impacts the franchise's reputation. With that said, it's not like they're losing money on their releases either. Fans, casual or hardcore, are supporting these releases so until that stops, you can be sure Funimation will continue what they're doing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2623
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Robo4900 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:06 am

Tylerman29 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 pm
I bought this set but I'm aware its not a great release. and I want better.
Problem is, unfortunately if you have bought it, then you've already given Funi your money, and they have no reason to give you better.

If you've decided this is the point where you settle, and you're tired of just not buying the series, and you're fine spending $350 on this, then fine, that's your decision, but unfortunately, the moment you bought this release, you forfeited your voice against it.

Actions mean infinitely more than words.

Technically, Funi will hear what you have to say if you email them (they won't read these forums, they won't read social media, etc.; if you want to complain at them, you have to email them. The community manager told me this), but if you've already bought this release, they have no reason to care what you have to say.

And because so many people bought this release, they have no reason to care what any of the rest of us have to say. So... Unfortunately, that means tons of people are angry, and you're an easy target for people to vent at.

It's not fair, but none of this is fair.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sumpter360 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:53 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:06 am
Tylerman29 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 pm
I bought this set but I'm aware its not a great release. and I want better.
Problem is, unfortunately if you have bought it, then you've already given Funi your money, and they have no reason to give you better.
This seems a little defeatist. Think back, FUNi never had a reason to give us better than the Blu-ray Seasons. They could've easily just kept that 16:9 transfer and most of those pre-orders still would've been placed.

I'm not trying to defend FUNimation's idiotic practices. It really does suck that FUNi squandered this opportunity for a terrific release, being the 30th anniversary and all. That said, this is a step in the right direction. Hopefully it is a sign that they no longer believe the fans only want 16:9 cropped footage. So, it's cool that you refrained from buying this, but bashing those who did does nothing to change the situation (not saying that you are bashing, more just people in general here doing varying degrees of buyer bashing).

And who knows, maybe next release will be the one we want.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3686
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Thu May 16, 2019 10:21 am

sumpter360 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:53 am
And who knows, maybe next release will be the one we want.
To get this out of the way, I personally do agree with this statement, but if you read the first reactions to the Black Brick reveal, this was the FINAL straw for many that Funi could do a competent release. All the prior ones tended to have some excuse around them, be it poor timing, cost, etc. The Black Brick is in the perfect situation as it's a boutique, collector's release with a higher price tag that's coming out in a void of Z content on Blu-Ray... and Funimation still managed to not put in the effort to do it right. After years of poor treatment of the franchise with only some ground gained regarding the VOs and script, it's pretty difficult to have faith in them, especially since Toei is starting to follow that path themselves.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:22 am

KBABZ wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:21 am
sumpter360 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:53 am
And who knows, maybe next release will be the one we want.
To get this out of the way, I personally do agree with this statement, but if you read the first reactions to the Black Brick reveal, this was the FINAL straw for many that Funi could do a competent release. All the prior ones tended to have some excuse around them, be it poor timing, cost, etc. The Black Brick is in the perfect situation as it's a boutique, collector's release with a higher price tag that's coming out in a void of Z content on Blu-Ray... and Funimation still managed to not put in the effort to do it right. After years of poor treatment of the franchise with only some ground gained regarding the VOs and script, it's pretty difficult to have faith in them, especially since Toei is starting to follow that path themselves.
The only releases of DBZ i feel that FUNi has actually gotten right for the most part are the Dragon Boxes and Level sets, of course the former are long out of print and selling for crazy money, while the latter sadly got axed after only two of the planned eighteen volumes due to among other things coming amidst the blitz of other Dragon Ball releases at the same time in late 2011. Every other release of Z that they've put out has been near unwatchable garbage which goes totally against what the show is intended to look like, it's also the one series they have out of all their licensed anime titles where except for the exceptions above have dropped the ball on and continued to do since 2007 back when the Orange Bricks came out.

I'm really glad that i went with getting the Dragon Boxes over time from eBay, because at this point with FUNi missing the mark so many times it just makes it even more difficult to where i just can't put faith in them to get it right when it comes to an acceptable release of the series. This 30th Anniversary BD set, while certainly a step forward with the proper 4:3 aspect ratio still isn't the all out proper remastered version that people want and have been clamoring for.

User avatar
Tylerman29
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:19 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:06 am
Tylerman29 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 pm
I bought this set but I'm aware its not a great release. and I want better.
Problem is, unfortunately if you have bought it, then you've already given Funi your money, and they have no reason to give you better.

If you've decided this is the point where you settle, and you're tired of just not buying the series, and you're fine spending $350 on this, then fine, that's your decision, but unfortunately, the moment you bought this release, you forfeited your voice against it.

Actions mean infinitely more than words.

Technically, Funi will hear what you have to say if you email them (they won't read these forums, they won't read social media, etc.; if you want to complain at them, you have to email them. The community manager told me this), but if you've already bought this release, they have no reason to care what you have to say.

And because so many people bought this release, they have no reason to care what any of the rest of us have to say. So... Unfortunately, that means tons of people are angry, and you're an easy target for people to vent at.

It's not fair, but none of this is fair.
They haven’t ever cared what we had to say..that’s my point..even if this set didn’t sale, Funi would just settle for what is already out there,the 2014 blu-rays. And no I'm not an easy target. If people can’t settle down and face reality then they are just idiotic whiners. I hope a better release happens, I really do, but I'm not expecting one after this missed opportunity. Therefore its only logical to take what I can get.

Actions and words from our corner of the fandom in this case are equally worthless. This set is proof of that.

I haven’t forfeited anything, I’m still an advocate for a good home release, once I have the set in my possession I’ll be more qualified than anyone to criticize its flaws. Buying something doesn’t take away someones ability to criticize it.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6347
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sangofe » Fri May 17, 2019 2:59 am

Tylerman29 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:19 pm
Robo4900 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:06 am
Tylerman29 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 pm
I bought this set but I'm aware its not a great release. and I want better.
Problem is, unfortunately if you have bought it, then you've already given Funi your money, and they have no reason to give you better.

If you've decided this is the point where you settle, and you're tired of just not buying the series, and you're fine spending $350 on this, then fine, that's your decision, but unfortunately, the moment you bought this release, you forfeited your voice against it.

Actions mean infinitely more than words.

Technically, Funi will hear what you have to say if you email them (they won't read these forums, they won't read social media, etc.; if you want to complain at them, you have to email them. The community manager told me this), but if you've already bought this release, they have no reason to care what you have to say.

And because so many people bought this release, they have no reason to care what any of the rest of us have to say. So... Unfortunately, that means tons of people are angry, and you're an easy target for people to vent at.

It's not fair, but none of this is fair.
They haven’t ever cared what we had to say..that’s my point..even if this set didn’t sale, Funi would just settle for what is already out there,the 2014 blu-rays. And no I'm not an easy target. If people can’t settle down and face reality then they are just idiotic whiners. I hope a better release happens, I really do, but I'm not expecting one after this missed opportunity. Therefore its only logical to take what I can get.

Actions and words from our corner of the fandom in this case are equally worthless. This set is proof of that.

I haven’t forfeited anything, I’m still an advocate for a good home release, once I have the set in my possession I’ll be more qualified than anyone to criticize its flaws. Buying something doesn’t take away someones ability to criticize it.
If nobody would have bought this that would be a pretty clear signal they'd need to release DBZ differently.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Fri May 17, 2019 3:20 am

sangofe wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:59 am
If nobody would have bought this that would be a pretty clear signal they'd need to release DBZ differently.
Then again, FUNi would've used it as proof no one wants the show in 4:3 by the way their shitty, condescending, & inconsistent blogpost put it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
MCDaveG
I Live Here
Posts: 4615
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by MCDaveG » Fri May 17, 2019 4:20 am

I am this purist and yeah, I like the Dragon Box footage with the grain and presented in original format (with bad sound, but if you are shifty enough, you can bump on some fan projects that make edits with broadcast audio).

But from what I saw on forums, it looks like it is us, the ''knowledgeable'' fans from or around Kanzenshuu, that care about these things.
Most people are happy that the grain is out.

So, I don't like this release and think that to get something like this on 30th anniversary is a really bad joke,
but people are buying it and clearly, they are happy with it. What can you do?
''Gotta catch 'em all! Dragon Baaaaall!''

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6347
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sangofe » Fri May 17, 2019 8:11 am

Scsigs wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:20 am
sangofe wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:59 am
If nobody would have bought this that would be a pretty clear signal they'd need to release DBZ differently.
Then again, FUNi would've used it as proof no one wants the show in 4:3 by the way their shitty, condescending, & inconsistent blogpost put it.
I'm not so sure about that. It surely would be better to have no sales of this than the current reserve number.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2623
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Robo4900 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:43 am

Scsigs wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:20 am
sangofe wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:59 am
If nobody would have bought this that would be a pretty clear signal they'd need to release DBZ differently.
Then again, FUNi would've used it as proof no one wants the show in 4:3 by the way their shitty, condescending, & inconsistent blogpost put it.
If there were no preorders, and we got the backlash we saw against this release, it would have sent a clear message. That would have been our best chance at showing Funi that we will not stand for this crap.

But ~4500 people preordered it anyway, it passed the threshhold, and with that many preorders, the fools, the gullible, the hedgers, etc. had already spoken with their wallets, effectively silencing everyone else.

Yes, maybe Funi would have taken this as "Proof" no one wants a 4:3 set. Or maybe they'd realise "oh shit, no one's preordering", make the small change everyone's begging for, and then see an influx of preorders, and finally understand the fans' wishes, and see that we're serious.

One can easily dismiss this as a fantasy, but we'll never know, because 4500 people preordered the bloody thing. Because 4500 people couldn't stand to wait and see if Funi could be convinced to do better, and instead rolled over and settled on this latest punch to the face because it's not quite as bad as the kick to the groin they gave us last time.

To be clear, this is no individual's fault, I'm not trying to attack anyone. I'm not frustrated at you specifically, I'm frustrated at 4500 people en masse for laying down and letting us get into this mess again. I'm sure each person has a reason they can justify for spending $350 to let Funi step on their face, maybe a good portion even regret it, but at this point, it's happened. Nothing can be done about it. This is reality now, and we have to just deal with it.

All we can do is complain at Funi and hope they see reason in time for the next release in 5-8 years' time. (And mark my words, we'll see another release in that kind of timeframe)
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sintzu » Fri May 17, 2019 12:52 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:43 am
All we can do is complain at Funi and hope they see reason in time for the next release in 5-8 years' time. (And mark my words, we'll see another release in that kind of timeframe)
I can actually see them giving us 2 releases. One in 4-5 years in 4K and another one in 2029 for the 40th anniversary.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3686
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 17, 2019 1:12 pm

sintzu wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:52 pm
Robo4900 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:43 am
All we can do is complain at Funi and hope they see reason in time for the next release in 5-8 years' time. (And mark my words, we'll see another release in that kind of timeframe)
I can actually see them giving us 2 releases. One in 4-5 years in 4K and another one in 2029 for the 40th anniversary.
Personally I HONESTLY doubt that. With the exception of the 32mm section with the Ginyu Force and early Frieza fight, DB, Z and GT have little quality to gain by being scanned in at that resolution. Movies for sure, but most of the TV content is ultimately too small to get any gains here.

Post Reply