The Original Movie 14.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

The Original Movie 14.

Post by Grimlock » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:49 pm

So I compiled everything we know about the original version of the movie and decided to know which version you like best:

• Beerus -- Lizard vs cat.
Tadayoshi Yamamuro wrote:Beerus originally had a lizard-like form, but at Toriyama-sensei‘s idea, he ultimately became an Egyptian-style cat character.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Super Saiyan God -- Caped, built, muscular, hairstyle in-between Super Saiyan 3 and Super Saiyan 4, vs slim, red-haired, same hairstyle of base form.
Tadayoshi Yamamuro wrote:I handled the roughs for Super Saiyan God. It was “a being that surpasses everything” so I drew a character more built than Super Saiyan, with a cape, but then illustrations with a completely different feel came back from Toriyama-sensei…. It was too different from my own internal image, so I tried suggesting the more sturdily-drawn character one more time, and then Sensei told me that it really was all wrong. (laughs)
Tadayoshi Yamamuro wrote:The setting this time is after the “Boo arc”, but between when we did the “Boo arc” in the anime and now, Toriyama-sensei‘s [artistic] touch has changed, don’t you think? I thought about which of those I should make it closer to. As for “Super Saiyan God”, the design I came out with at first was completely different. It was more muscular, and the hairstyle was about in-between “Super Saiyan 3” and “[Super Saiyan] 4”. But Sensei‘s [mental] image was the sense that it wouldn’t look strong at first glance, so it gained its present form.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Script -- Dark, serious, good and evil vs light, positive, forward-looking story, of friendship and camaraderie.
Yusuke Watanabe wrote:I showed [my idea] to Toriyama-sensei, saying, “I’d like to make it this kind of story,” and what came back was already finished up like a script. (laughs) At first I’d thought about the themes of “good and evil” and “what is a hero” with a bit of a serious feel. But Toriyama-sensei seemed to to feel strongly that, since the [2011 Tohoku] earthquake, he wanted it to be, not a tragic story, but a positive, forward-looking story, of friendship and camaraderie, and the story took shape like that. It was like, “This truly is Dragon Ball.” What was I doing? (laughs)
• Setting -- Bulma's birthday party vs Kuririn and Android 18's wedding.
Yusuke Watanabe wrote:I thought I’d do a story where the enemy appears at a party on Earth when Goku’s not there, and there’d be big trouble; in the original plot, I wrote Kuririn and No. 18’s wedding, but in the story that came back from Toriyama-sensei, it had changed to Bulma’s birthday party. I think, with regards to Kuririn and No. 18’s wedding, it’s probably something that he wants all the fans to imagine for themselves.
• The Dragon Balls Thieves -- Pilaf gang vs three new characters.
Akira Toriyama wrote:Originally, they were just going to be petty thieves. But since we were going to have the entire cast, I thought [it wouldn’t be great if] some unknown characters just suddenly showed up. So I made them into the Pilaf gang. But you know, thinking long and hard about it after making that decision, they were all getting pretty old.
Yusuke Watanabe wrote:The story I received was about 60 minutes, so I created a development where the Dragon Balls are stolen by a group of thieves, who were new characters. Then Toriyama-sensei told me, “Since we’re going with an all-star cast, let’s have the Pilaf gang steal them”. With this change, the feeling of a reunion, or a special, was upped even more.
Akira Toriyama wrote:In the initial script, three burglars appear. But since Dragon Ball‘s characters are all appearing together, I thought it would be better if it were a group of three that everyone knew, so I made the Pilaf gang appear.
Alright, I'll start:
• Beerus -- Lizard vs cat.
Without seeing the finished job on the lizard, I can't really say which one I'd prefer. If it was more leaned into a dinosaur-esque, I would probably prefer it, but the cat has the Egyptian theme that I like so much (maybe the lizard would have too). So at the end of the day, I guess both are cool.
• Super Saiyan God -- Capped, built, muscular, hairstyle in-between Super Saiyan 3 and Super Saiyan 4, vs slim, red-haired.
I would have preferred a transformation without any muscular change. Just let it be the way the character is normally. I would have liked the cape but only if the character got it somewhere and put it on. Certainly not "magically appearing out of nowhere". Transformations that affect clothes are weird as hell, as if clothes are naturally part of the body. As for the hair, I can't really imagine what it would look like, but as long as it's not big...
• Script -- Dark, serious, good and evil vs light, positive, forward-looking story, of friendship and camaraderie.
Normally I prefer dark, serious tone stories. But that wouldn't be Dragon Ball, right? I can live with happy stories, as long as we also get more serious stuff once in a while.
• Setting -- Bulma's birthday party vs Kuririn and Android 18's wedding.
Definitely Kuririn and Android 18's wedding. I think Bulma gets way more screentime than she deserves or needs. I would have very much preferred to see their wedding. It would mean more screentime and development, and those two certainly need it as a couple (hey, probably more Marron too!).
• The Dragon Balls Thieves -- Pilaf gang vs three new characters.
I don't have much problems with the Pilaf gang, though in subsequent views of the movie, their scenes can become a chore to sit through. Be that as it may, I would need to see who and what the new characters bring to the table before having a preference.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: The Original Movie 14.

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:16 pm

I still felt like we doge a bullet with the original script. I think Toriyama stop it from being a total train wreck given how Toei's DB stuff without him always been very hit or miss (mostly miss).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:55 pm

Other than the "Beerus is the reason Saiyans are evil" thing, which we definitely don't need it, I think I would like to see how that would turn out. We still don't know if it was Toei or Toriyama that presented the idea of Multiverse, do we? Unfortunately, there's no interview talking about that. My curiosity to see everything, all possible scenarios wouldn't let me say "no" from the start. :shifty:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:49 pm

I definitely prefer the movie we got, it has Toriyama's charm, Watanabe's original plan just sounds dull, dark for the sake of being dark and like something out of a crappy fanfiction.

The 12 universe reveal also brought back the sense of adventure that we wouldn't have got from the movie TOEI planned.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:18 pm

Interesting, so if the Super Saiyan God statements are to be taken, the movie was still supposed to be set in the DBZ/Movies/GT canon.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:23 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:49 pm I handled the roughs for Super Saiyan God. It was “a being that surpasses everything” so I drew a character more built than Super Saiyan, with a cape, but then illustrations with a completely different feel came back from Toriyama-sensei…. It was too different from my own internal image, so I tried suggesting the more sturdily-drawn character one more time, and then Sensei told me that it really was all wrong. (laughs)
Yeah, the cape thing doesn't make any sense. Had they gone with it instead of SSG we got, they wouldn't have even cared to explain where the cape came from and leave it a mystery just like Goku's clothes suddenly changing whenever he went SSJ4 in GT.
Last edited by Tian on Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:24 pm

The original script sounds like the Cell arc (edgy, dark, melodramatic) with some GT sprinkled in (edgy new form that is trying way too hard to look cool).

Terrible and boring.

I am so glad that the movie was reworked to align more closely with the original whimsical and funny roots of Dragon Ball.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:33 pm

Thank you. I was thinking about this the other day, we know very little about the original movie idea.

How much of the script did Toriyama change exactly? I've seen people say he doesn't deserve all that credit because he only changed designs and the setting, but the descriptions of the original take being darker makes me think Toriyama changed quite a lot of dialogue.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:24 pm The original script sounds like the Cell arc (edgy, dark, melodramatic) with some GT sprinkled in (edgy new form that is trying way too hard to look cool).

Terrible and boring.

I am so glad that the movie was reworked to align more closely with the original whimsical and funny roots of Dragon Ball.
By that logic, wouldn't the Future Trunks Saga be a trainwreck because it's "edgy, dark and melodramatic"?
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:44 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:33 pm By that logic, wouldn't the Future Trunks Saga be a trainwreck because it's "edgy, dark and melodramatic"?
Well, No, because everyone makes fun of Zamasu and his shtick (whimsical) and everyone went to party after the Multiverse was erased (whimsical).

Actually, Toei was surprisingly tame with that arc, given their usual BS of overly-complicated and weird forms. Super Saiyan Rage Trunks, a Toei-exclusive mode, is just Trunks with a blue aura.

As we see from this thread, Toei typically makes cringe new forms that are trying way too hard to be cool.

A cape? So cool, much wow. :roll:

Long hair like SS3/SS4? Daring today, aren't we?

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:53 pm

I think in the end it's for the best that we got the movie that we did. Battle of Gods has the feeling of a reunion with old friends that you used to hangout with, but haven't seen in some time. It's just a warm and comfortable feeling. It's also got the best balance I think of the canon movies in terms of mixing the fun Toriyama gag stuff with moments where the story needs to take itself seriously. It reads like we wouldn't have gotten that had Toriyama not become involved.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:11 pm

I prefer a majority more of what we actually got in BOG but there are a couple of things I wouldn't have minded from the original version. One advantage American comics have over manga and anime are cases like this. If this was Marvel or DC I could totally see them drawing the original movie 14 script out for us to read some day.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:58 pm

I've always felt that the only thing that seemed better in the original outline was the backdrop being 18 and Krillin's wedding. Everything else seemed pretty lame. Toei already did the plague of evil spreading twice in their original Dragon Ball content, revealing the Saiyans were possessed by this evil and that's what made them blood thirsty warriors would have been a lame ass retcon, and Super Saiyan God having a cape is just tacky.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:31 pm

I think that the original idea from Watanabe sounds really interesting, my only real concerns would be the ending reversing the story—which would be bland—and the animation supervisor and character designer being Yamamuro Tadayoshi. A nice little dark story would be a real rule breaker for Dragon Ball.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf