Two scans from a Japanese magazine about the l.a. movie

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun May 25, 2008 1:53 pm

saiyanprincess wrote:We are just judging everything by a few images on some random fansites, We should just all remember that it does have a pretty good budget, and it's being produced by one of the biggest companies (Fox!)

I'm sure they don't want to let their reputation down by filming something as big as this, and making it look pants.
Well, Fox are American, after all, so they might be more influenced by the FUNi dub than they should. American fans tend to have a somewhat screwy idea of what Dragonball is supposed to be like, after all, so their reputation might not be too damaged by producing a hackjob.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun May 25, 2008 2:43 pm

Well, we've just got our latest bit of casting news. It was known that Ernie Hudson of Ghostbusters fame was playing some sort of monk character. But now, someone has caught him at a convention, asked him about it, and it turns out he's playing Mutaito, Roshi's Master who was responsible for Piccolo being sealed away.

Very cool, and seems to me like a plus for the movie in terms of story and integrity. Now let's see if we get as much whining from the internet about a black Mutaito as we still are about a non-Asian Goku. :D
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue May 27, 2008 3:18 pm

What's wrong with wanting an Asian Goku?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:20 pm

What are the chances that an alien would look human? Now take that and multiply that by the chances of that alien looking like an Asian human. If you ask me, it's miracle enough that he looked human at all.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue May 27, 2008 3:39 pm

Kendamu wrote:What's wrong with wanting an Asian Goku?
Nothing, it just doesn't seem worth worrying about or throwing a fit over. :/

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue May 27, 2008 4:28 pm

I think you are asking too much of Fox. They want Americanized Dragonball, so casting an Asian Goku wouldn't make much sense.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue May 27, 2008 5:27 pm

Is it too much to ask that Goku have emotions?

:cry:

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue May 27, 2008 5:31 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Is it too much to ask that Goku have emotions?

{Emotionless Goku pictures snipped}

Any asking is too much when you talk about Dragonball in America.

Post 420.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:35 pm

Raki wrote:
I think you are asking too much of Fox. They want Americanized Dragonball, so casting an Asian Goku wouldn't make much sense.
Yet they cast every other character Asian?
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue May 27, 2008 5:36 pm

disturbed001 wrote:
Raki wrote:
I think they are banking on big returns in America based on their casting choice for Goku.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue May 27, 2008 5:46 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Is it too much to ask that Goku have emotions?

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/5826/chatwinwe8.jpg

It's just par-for-the-course action movie promotional shots. How often do you see Harrison Ford or Bruce Willis smiling and laughing on their movies' posters?
Raki wrote:
disturbed001 wrote:
Raki wrote:I think you are asking too much of Fox. They want Americanized Dragonball, so casting an Asian Goku wouldn't make much sense.
I think they are banking on big returns in America based on their casting choice for Goku.
They casted appropriately. I hate to resort to this, but Goku... isn't Asian. He doesn't even look Asian. He's a Saiyan, and they're factoring that in from the "beginning." Chi-Chi, Yamcha, and Mai, all characters with more Eastern appearances and names, are casted accordingly. Bulma and Piccolo are casted well for their appearances and personalities, too.

Goku's not Asian, so they didn't cast an Asian dude to play him. That's all there really is to it.

And although it's American-made, they're promoting and giving special treatment to Japanese audiences (Doesn't it premiere over there a week before everywhere else?). I oughta ask around some Japanese residents on other forums how people seem to be taking or anticipating it over there.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue May 27, 2008 6:18 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:They casted appropriately. I hate to resort to this, but Goku... isn't Asian. He doesn't even look Asian. He's a Saiyan, and they're factoring that in from the "beginning." Chi-Chi, Yamcha, and Mai, all characters with more Eastern appearances and names, are casted accordingly. Bulma and Piccolo are casted well for their appearances and personalities, too.

Goku's not Asian, so they didn't cast an Asian dude to play him. That's all there really is to it.
He's not Caucasian either, and he doesn't look any more Caucasian than any of the other Dragon Ball characters. But he certainly has far and away the most Asian name and clothing of any of the initial main characters, being based on Sun Wukong and all. I don't particularly mind the fact that he's being played by a Caucasian rather than Asian actor, but the idea that it somehow makes more sense for it to be that way strikes me as really weird.

I think Ernie Hudson as Mutaito sounds really cool, though I'm not sure why. Maybe just because I like that screencap of him sitting at that round table.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue May 27, 2008 7:19 pm

disturbed001 wrote:Yet they cast every other character Asian?
It is indeed shocking that the non-human is cast to appear different from everyone else.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue May 27, 2008 8:51 pm

I'd be happier if "Goku" would at least give some emotion. Even if its just a smirk.

No expression at all leads me to think that Chatwin doesn't really care about being in the movie or think much of the role; I could be looking too deep into it though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue May 27, 2008 9:24 pm

Is it too much to ask that Goku have emotions?
I agree. The Goku we all know and love always has a smile on his face. Eh, maybe we just need to wait to see an actuall clip. :? Every time I see that image though, this comes to mind...

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue May 27, 2008 9:33 pm

Action movie.

Promotional material for action movie.

Main hero character featured in promotional material for action movie.

"Smiles" do not fit anywhere in that.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue May 27, 2008 9:40 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Action movie.

Promotional material for action movie.

Main hero character featured in promotional material for action movie.

"Smiles" do not fit anywhere in that.
Does thiscount?

But you do have a point. I mean, even on the poster/covers for Toei's Dragon Ball movies, they generally have Goku with basically the same stern look on his face. The main variation is whether or not his mouth is open...
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue May 27, 2008 9:55 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:It's just par-for-the-course action movie promotional shots. How often do you see Harrison Ford or Bruce Willis smiling and laughing on their movies' posters?
In my quest to be contrary, I must present this

while agreeing with you that the reaction of "OH GOD TWO STILLS DON'T HAVE HIM SMILING LORD SMITE THESE SINNERS AND DEFILERS OF THINE HOLY WORKS" is, just maybe, overreacting.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue May 27, 2008 11:58 pm

Herms: Rush Hour's a Buddy-Cop-Comedy. Unless you're gonna say that Chris Tucker is a action hero.

Rocketman: The Indiana Jones series are Adventure theme. See the word Adventure on the poster?

And heck if you took three random pictures of me throught the day you'd probaly get one with my eye crossed, one with my finger in my ear, and the other with one of my eyebrows raised and my head going from side to side.
Last edited by Anonymous Friend on Wed May 28, 2008 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed May 28, 2008 12:04 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:And although it's American-made, they're promoting and giving special treatment to Japanese audiences (Doesn't it premiere over there a week before everywhere else?). I oughta ask around some Japanese residents on other forums how people seem to be taking or anticipating it over there.
It is indeed premiering earlier there. From what I've seen around so far, the Japanese media at least anyway, seem quite hyped about it. I think they're just really pleased and excited that this classic anime export of theirs has gotten enough success that Hollywood is making a film.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."