...some random DBZ Books I've never heard of on Amazon?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kiyza
Regular

Re: ...some random DBZ Books I've never heard of on Amazon?

Post by Kiyza » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:45 pm

I know for a fact that the first two are terrible unofficial guides that have been looked into on the site. Needless to say, they're absolutely terrible.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:03 pm

Anything Pojo is laughable. It's from the cash-in era of American fandom almost a decade ago.

The second is the unofficial guide written by the mother-and-son duo. I just opened to a random page (I swear to fucking deity-of-choice, I opened at random), and here is what's written on it:
Funny Book wrote:"Lunch is a funny character in the original Dragon Ball show. I like her because she has brown hair except when she sneezes. Then her hair become blond and she turns psycho and starts killing people. If she sneezes again, then she becomes brown-haired good Lunch again. So there are good Lunches and bad Lunches, just like in the real world."
- School cafeteria worker
Sorry -- I just accidentally made the book seem worthwhile. My apologies. We haven't reviewed that one on the podcast, but we reviewed this one back on Episode #0128 of the podcast. Almost as bad, but not quite.

Third is DragonBall Z: Son Goku Densetsu, one of the TV guide books that came out back in 2003. This is good.

Fourth is DragonBall: Tenka-ichi Densetsu, one of the TV guide books that came out back in 2004 (NOTE: remember that the Dragon Boxes were released out-of-order over there, too, with DBZ coming before DB). This is good.

Fifth is... err... I dunno? Some crappy pen-and-paper game book thing...?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:12 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Fifth is... err... I dunno? Some crappy pen-and-paper game book thing...?
That would, I think, be the unofficial pen-and-paper RPG which first used "Bas-jin" as a name for Gurd's race, and which Desire has spent a considerable chunk of his life trying to make an improved version of.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:14 pm

I wouldn't touch the first two with a 70 yard pole.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Takuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Takuy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:22 pm

Edit: Nevermind, it was already addressed.

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:25 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Funny Book wrote:"Lunch is a funny character in the original Dragon Ball show. I like her because she has brown hair except when she sneezes. Then her hair become blond and she turns psycho and starts killing people. If she sneezes again, then she becomes brown-haired good Lunch again. So there are good Lunches and bad Lunches, just like in the real world."

Oh my god, why did this make me laugh so hard? :lol:
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:44 pm

I wouldn't mind getting this.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:13 pm

I have all of these except for the Mother & Son or whatever it is book. The Blue and Orange books are in all Japanese, but are very cool nonetheless. The Pojo guide was neat for its day in seeing a bunch of characters that hadn't appeared on television yet, but it is, as others have mentioned, entirely stupid and full of fan-myth error information from that era. The last one is some pen & paper RPG book. I had a couple of classmates in college who were into those kinds of games, and tried to get me into them by getting that Dragonball one for me. I flipped through it once, realized it was a ridiculous waste of time and shelved it somewhere. No idea where it is now, I've moved once since then, but I'm pretty sure I still have it lying around somewhere.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

DBZGokuSaiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZGokuSaiyan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:25 pm

Oh, the days of Pojo... I remember being a member on their forums years back; fun times.

And that Lunch "biography" was just filled with all sorts of cheese. :lol:

I really miss those magazines that Beckett put out in the early '00s; now those were awesome.
Get Sponsored. Give Back.

SocialVibe

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:47 am

Big Momma wrote:
I wouldn't mind getting this.
Me too

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:51 am

I read the second one years ago.... probably close to a decade. I don't remember much about it. What I do remember was not good.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:16 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:I read the second one years ago.... probably close to a decade. I don't remember much about it. What I do remember was not good.
I'd personally like to buy it just to see how much random shit is in it.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:20 pm

Budogenkai wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:

Oh my god, why did this make me laugh so hard? :lol:
Me too. :lol:

The third one looks pretty cool to me.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:20 am

Ahiru77 wrote:The third one looks pretty cool to me.
Because it's an official guide book from Japan....

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:47 am

Funny story about that Pojo book. I bought it on Amazon about a year ago for about 89 cents. I figured yea, it's gonna be bad but that should make it funny right? I thought I'd scan a few pages, make a topic about it, say something funny here and there, and we'd all have a good laugh.

I got it and it was actually so bad that it wasn't funny. You know the expression "(something) is so (something) it's not even funny"? Well, that's what happened with this book. It was just really, really bad.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:32 am

Herms wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Fifth is... err... I dunno? Some crappy pen-and-paper game book thing...?
That would, I think, be the unofficial pen-and-paper RPG which first used "Bas-jin" as a name for Gurd's race, and which Desire has spent a considerable chunk of his life trying to make an improved version of.
It is indeed. It had such promise, but it's based on 'Fuzion' (no relation to Dragon Ball 'fusion') which is based on 'Champions'. It's nearly incomprehensible. It's a broken version of a broken version of a broken RPG. </rpg nerd>

I've been trying to make something respectable out of it since 2001, but there's only so much you can do to such a terrible system.

When DB Online was announced I hesitated to continue working on it, and with everything that I've heard coming out of that I just sort of gave up on it (well, I let the domain expire - I still have all the work). I hope to never have to look at it again :P

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:46 am

Mike, I've been onto you to do a review of that mother-and-son book for years now. At least do it before 2012 rolls around and we all burn, so I can at least die contentedly.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

gallagtor
Beyond Newbie

Post by gallagtor » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:37 pm

I actually own the Anime Adventure Game book, as well as the second volume that covers the Namek and Freeza arcs. I think there might be a third volume, or at least there were plans for a third volume at one point. The book actually licensed by Funimation according to the back cover. It mostly has traced drawings and screencaps from the anime, but there are a few original drawings like diagrams of the inside of the various spaceships, Karin's tower, etc. There's also a map of "Dragon Ball Earth" which I have no idea if it's accurate or not. Every few pages there's an "in translation" blurb that gives a little insight into that mysterious Japanese version of the show that is often completely inaccurate. For example:

"Called "cultivars" in the Viz translation of the original Dragon Ball Z manga, the term Pcan (sic) also be translated as "cyberman", or using the already established vegetable naming pattern of the Saiyans, be another pun on the word Yasai (i.e: vegetable men)"

If anyone is interested, I can try to dig out my old scanner and provide some pictures.