Masako Nozawa's other roles

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Masako Nozawa's other roles

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:31 pm

While watching one of the extras on my Voltron box set, I noticed that in a clip from the Japanese version that Pidge sounded very much like Goku. After checking I did find out it was her. Anyways, hope this isn't too off topic, but what are some thoughts towards any other characters she has done?

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:33 pm

I know she does Giulmon's JP voice in Digimon.

trunkschan90
Beyond Newbie

Post by trunkschan90 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:52 pm

Here's a site with a complete list of the many roles done by her:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... php?id=508

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:55 pm

trunkschan90 wrote:Here's a site with a complete list of the many roles done by her:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... php?id=508
Thanx for the list, I thought she voiced Guilmon and I was right :)

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:30 pm

Here's a nice little biography of Nozawa Masako. It doesn't list all of her roles, but it provides a good reference.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 pm

Knew that she did Guilmon. Ironically I've also seen a few sites say they can picture his English VA (Steve Blum) as Goku. I don't really think about that though.

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:10 pm

Well, I know she played Dr. Kureha on One Piece...that's just about it.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:47 am

I always loved her as Kintarou in UY. She sounded just like a mix between Chibi Goku and Gohan. Soooooo cute.^^
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:37 am

Saiyan wrote:Well, I know she played Dr. Kureha on One Piece...that's just about it.
I find it funny that not only does Oda love Dragon Ball, but just about a huge chunk of the VAs in One Piece have once provided voices for the three DB series'. :P
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:46 am

I've seen some old-ass anime with her in it. There was some Tom Sawyer thing from... probably the 70's that had her voice. Very interesting.
Just remember, everytime something bad is happening to you. Something even worse is happening to someone else.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:12 am

Hmm...she was in the original Tetsuwan Atom (Astro Boy) waaaay back in the 60s...

Other than that, all I know is Guilmon. ^^ Giru Giru! XD
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:22 pm

She was the 2nd voice of Doraemon in the 1973 series.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:04 pm

Tsukento wrote:
Saiyan wrote:Well, I know she played Dr. Kureha on One Piece...that's just about it.
I find it funny that not only does Oda love Dragon Ball, but just about a huge chunk of the VAs in One Piece have once provided voices for the three DB series'. :P
OMG!!!! ME TOO!!! .......That's another reason why I love One Piece! Piccolo as Ace! Kuririn as Luffy! Trunks as Kohza! Narrator (for DB, DBZ, & DBGT) as Boodle & Gan Fall! Gokui (from Movie 9) as Enel! Raditz & Pilaf as Buggy the Clown!.... Son Goku as Dr. Kureha?!! It just goes to show you the Shonen Jump/Toei/Dragon Ball seiyuu freak that I am.

........Nozawa also did "Kitarou" in "Ge Ge no Kitarou" . Very old series indeed. Infact, most of the roles Nozawa did are for "vintage" anime. More recently she's done minor roles in One Piece & Love Hina (Hina Urashima). Don't know about Digimon so I can't comment on that. Also there's the multitiude of recent Dragon Ball games coming out.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:13 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:More recently she's done minor roles in One Piece & Love Hina (Hina Urashima).
I actually had to go and look that up - and then I checked to make sure. I can't believe I didn't notice that. I feel like I've betrayed her! *cries* I mean, I picked out Megumi Hayashibara in Video Girl AI and Love Hina instantly, but not Masako Nozawa?!

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:02 pm

Haha, yeah, I remember when I heard that she did the japanese merryweather I had to go rewatch my video and listen for her. Really, I never would've guessed.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:22 pm

Woah, she did the JP version of Doug Funnie? I just find that to be... :shock:. I loved the show when it was on Nick, but never thought that it would've been translated like some of the more popular cartoons out there. But then again, Doug was pretty popular for a while...
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:00 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Woah, she did the JP version of Doug Funnie? I just find that to be... :shock:. I loved the show when it was on Nick, but never thought that it would've been translated like some of the more popular cartoons out there. But then again, Doug was pretty popular for a while...
And here I was thinking only anime coming to America would have a character voiced by a woman then a man or vice versa. Never the American cartoon going to Japan.

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:05 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Woah, she did the JP version of Doug Funnie? I just find that to be... :shock:. I loved the show when it was on Nick, but never thought that it would've been translated like some of the more popular cartoons out there. But then again, Doug was pretty popular for a while...
Whoa who could have expected that :shock:

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:11 pm

The only other anime I heard Masako Nozawa's voice in was in Love Hina. The main character's grandma.
Sebastian (SB) wrote:
Tsukento wrote:
OMG!!!! ME TOO!!! .......That's another reason why I love One Piece! Piccolo as Ace! Kuririn as Luffy! Trunks as Kohza! Narrator (for DB, DBZ, & DBGT) as Boodle & Gan Fall! Gokui (from Movie 9) as Enel! Raditz & Pilaf as Buggy the Clown!.... Son Goku as Dr. Kureha?!! It just goes to show you the Shonen Jump/Toei/Dragon Ball seiyuu freak that I am.

You forgot some others; Tao Pai Pai as Gold Roger, Dabura as Crocodile, Dr. Gero as Zeff, Frieza as Erik The Whirlwind. Plus some more.
Last edited by Vhanos on Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:42 pm

I was surprised to find out Nozawa was the Japanese voice of Doug too (I loved Doug). That makes two famous VAs that have done that show (the other being Billy West who was the origional Doug).

The woman has got quite a track record (I heard that she has her own voice acting school, does anyone know if that's true?), which is why it seems so disrespectful to her and her talent when dumb dubbies bash her voice acting on DBZ and say she can't act.