Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
TheRed259
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1200
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:26 am

Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:43 pm

Back then, I think there was a TV channel in Japan called Akita TV which aired DragonBall Z Kai with different Kikuchi soundtracks. I remember having seen a video on YouTube with the Z-Fighters Vs the Cell Juniors and this track from Movie 1 was playing in the background. Does anyone have any clips from this TV version with the alternative soundtracks?

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:14 pm

I remember seeing short clips of Toonzai using alternate Kikuchi music on Kai scenes than the ones used officially and I loved it. Too bad it was just temporary and the final version was an annoying, repetitive sack of shit background score.

User avatar
TheRed259
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1200
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:59 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:I remember seeing short clips of Toonzai using alternate Kikuchi music on Kai scenes than the ones used officially and I loved it. Too bad it was just temporary and the final version was an annoying, repetitive sack of shit background score.
Yeah, I remember these ones too. Vegeta finds out that Gohan and Krillin have taken the DragonBalls from him and sees Porunga for the 1st time while a track from Movie 12 plays in the background.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:55 am

TheRed259 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:I remember seeing short clips of Toonzai using alternate Kikuchi music on Kai scenes than the ones used officially and I loved it. Too bad it was just temporary and the final version was an annoying, repetitive sack of shit background score.
Yeah, I remember these ones too. Vegeta finds out that Gohan and Krillin have taken the DragonBalls from him and sees Porunga for the 1st time while a track from Movie 12 plays in the background.
That's exactly it! Do you have a link to that video? Would love to watch it again.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:54 am

Tried searching, searching and searching but couldn't find the video. Should have saved it, bummer.

Anyone has it to reupload?

User avatar
TheRed259
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1200
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:26 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Do you have a link to that video?
No, I don't.


User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:08 pm

TheRed259 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:09 pm
I finally found the video I was talking about!
https://twitter.com/nappasan/status/1082272944573665281
This is indeed very interesting and a piece of history about Dragon Ball Kai's music change from 'Temporary Kikuchi' to 'Permanent Kikuchi'. If there's any others, TheRed259, please post them. :)

Thanks.

User avatar
TheRed259
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1200
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:25 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:08 pm
TheRed259 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:09 pm
I finally found the video I was talking about!
https://twitter.com/nappasan/status/1082272944573665281
This is indeed very interesting and a piece of history about Dragon Ball Kai's music change from 'Temporary Kikuchi' to 'Permanent Kikuchi'. If there's any others, TheRed259, please post them. :)

Thanks.
You will find some other videos in the replies of this tweet. Don't know if there are other clips online though. Maybe that Japanese fan on Twitter has more, don't know.

User avatar
SpiritBombTriumphant
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:14 am

What the fuck? Why didn't they go with the "temporary Kikuchi" placement? It's so much better!

Toei never fails to let me down even more than they already have. First Boo kai's existence (and green tint), then Super's terrible art and animation for eps. 001-028, then Broly's green tint in the Funimation release... Now this.
Robo4900 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:40 pm
I can't overstate the importance of the fact they have the Level masters for all 291 episodes in the vaults ready for release, but yes, that is true.
The above claim has no definitive proof. Don't believe it simply because this Alex Jones clone says it.

User avatar
TheRed259
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1200
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:18 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:54 am
Tried searching, searching and searching but couldn't find the video. Should have saved it, bummer.

Anyone has it to reupload?
I found on Twitter another scene (not the one with Porunga) where they used that soundtrack from Movie 12.
https://twitter.com/nappasan/status/1188160420567080961

User avatar
Jesta'
Newbie
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 pm

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by Jesta' » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:23 pm

TheRed259 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:18 pm

I found on Twitter another scene (not the one with Porunga) where they used that soundtrack from Movie 12.
https://twitter.com/nappasan/status/1188160420567080961
Ok, that was an amazing music choice!

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2857
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:59 am

I wonder if "Temporary Kikuchi" was doing proper, specific, manual placements of Kikuchi pieces. Then, Toei decided that was not worth doing for all 98 episodes, so they switched to the method I'm given to understand Kikuchi Kai to have used in the end, of simply replacing all instances of any given Yamamo piece with a similar-enough-sounding Kikuchi piece.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 3952
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am
Location: DB's Birthplace
Contact:

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by kei17 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:16 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:59 am
I wonder if "Temporary Kikuchi" was doing proper, specific, manual placements of Kikuchi pieces. Then, Toei decided that was not worth doing for all 98 episodes, so they switched to the method I'm given to understand Kikuchi Kai to have used in the end, of simply replacing all instances of any given Yamamo piece with a similar-enough-sounding Kikuchi piece.
No, that's not the case. In the "Temporary Kikuchi" version, they used all the tracks included in the 3-disc set soundtrack release except for the ones containing the melodies of Cha-La Head-Cha-La. In the final version, however, they excluded all the mono tracks (a few of them left intact accidentally) for the sake of consistency, and the ones from DBZ movie 3, 12, and 13 were also ruled over for some reason though they are mixed in stereo. Maybe there was some rights issue for the home video release. With the accessible music tracks even more limited, the final music placements ended up being very repetitive, boring, and unfitting. Also, the temporary music placements seem to have been done by Yukio Nagasaki, the audio director of Kai, himself, but since they had to deal with all the 98 episodes in a short period of time, they had no choice but to hire multiple audio directors to do the music placements simultaneously. They had never been involved with the franchise before, which didn't help and lead to the robotic replacement method.

For your information, Satoshi Motoyama, one of the said audio directors hired for the Kikuchi-Kai, continued to be involved in the production of Buu Kai, and its music placements were totally butchered by him. Their fuckery in Kai never ceases to amaze me.
My Website: World DBZ
My blog: Red Ribbon Army Japan Base
penguintruth wrote:Gohan: "You differently skilled, but fully functional member of society whose IQ doesn't quite meet societal standards but is no less a beautiful creature for having lived in this universe... who happened to kill my mother and friends."

User avatar
Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 927
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Pilot Mountain Pinnacle

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by Naruto6583 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:13 am

kei17 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:16 am
Robo4900 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:59 am
I wonder if "Temporary Kikuchi" was doing proper, specific, manual placements of Kikuchi pieces. Then, Toei decided that was not worth doing for all 98 episodes, so they switched to the method I'm given to understand Kikuchi Kai to have used in the end, of simply replacing all instances of any given Yamamo piece with a similar-enough-sounding Kikuchi piece.
No, that's not the case. In the "Temporary Kikuchi" version, they used all the tracks included in the 3-disc set soundtrack release except for the ones containing the melodies of Cha-La Head-Cha-La. In the final version, however, they excluded all the mono tracks (a few of them left intact accidentally) for the sake of consistency, and the ones from DBZ movie 3, 12, and 13 were also ruled over for some reason though they are mixed in stereo. Maybe there was some rights issue for the home video release. With the accessible music tracks even more limited, the final music placements ended up being very repetitive, boring, and unfitting. Also, the temporary music placements seem to have been done by Yukio Nagasaki, the audio director of Kai, himself, but since they had to deal with all the 98 episodes in a short period of time, they had no choice but to hire multiple audio directors to do the music placements simultaneously. They had never been involved with the franchise before, which didn't help and lead to the robotic replacement method.

For your information, Satoshi Motoyama, one of the said audio directors hired for the Kikuchi-Kai, continued to be involved in the production of Buu Kai, and its music placements were totally butchered by him. Their fuckery in Kai never ceases to amaze me.
Did Yukio Nagasaki have any input with Buu kai or was it mostly Satoshi Motoyama?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

User avatar
kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 3952
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am
Location: DB's Birthplace
Contact:

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by kei17 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:10 pm

Naruto6583 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:13 am
Did Yukio Nagasaki have any input with Buu kai or was it mostly Satoshi Motoyama?
Nagasaki worked only on the direction of voice recordings. Motoyama was in charge of everything music-related.
My Website: World DBZ
My blog: Red Ribbon Army Japan Base
penguintruth wrote:Gohan: "You differently skilled, but fully functional member of society whose IQ doesn't quite meet societal standards but is no less a beautiful creature for having lived in this universe... who happened to kill my mother and friends."

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2857
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:09 pm

kei17 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:10 pm
Naruto6583 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:13 am
Did Yukio Nagasaki have any input with Buu kai or was it mostly Satoshi Motoyama?
Nagasaki worked only on the direction of voice recordings. Motoyama was in charge of everything music-related.
So, would Motoyama have been the one who chose Sumitomo as the composer to replace Yamamoto too?
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12572
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:27 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:09 pm
kei17 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:10 pm
Naruto6583 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:13 am
Did Yukio Nagasaki have any input with Buu kai or was it mostly Satoshi Motoyama?
Nagasaki worked only on the direction of voice recordings. Motoyama was in charge of everything music-related.
So, would Motoyama have been the one who chose Sumitomo as the composer to replace Yamamoto too?
That would likely have been up to the producer for Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters. Motoyama just places the music based on instructions from the episode director or series director.
•Julie | She/Her | Pansexual & Transgender | Queer |
•Avatar: Igarashi Kyou (married name: Hasumi Kyou) from the web comic 性転換後、親友と (Seitenka-go. Shin'yuu to) by Eroe (Pixiv; Twitter)

User avatar
kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 3952
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am
Location: DB's Birthplace
Contact:

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by kei17 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:29 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:09 pm
kei17 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:10 pm
Naruto6583 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:13 am
Did Yukio Nagasaki have any input with Buu kai or was it mostly Satoshi Motoyama?
Nagasaki worked only on the direction of voice recordings. Motoyama was in charge of everything music-related.
So, would Motoyama have been the one who chose Sumitomo as the composer to replace Yamamoto too?
I don't think so. Nagasaki and Sumitomo were both involved in the production of Asura in 2012, so my guess is that this lead to Sumitomo's participation in Buu Kai.
My Website: World DBZ
My blog: Red Ribbon Army Japan Base
penguintruth wrote:Gohan: "You differently skilled, but fully functional member of society whose IQ doesn't quite meet societal standards but is no less a beautiful creature for having lived in this universe... who happened to kill my mother and friends."

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2857
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:56 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:27 pm
That would likely have been up to the producer for Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters. Motoyama just places the music based on instructions from the episode director or series director.
Ah, I see.
kei17 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:29 pm
I don't think so. Nagasaki and Sumitomo were both involved in the production of Asura in 2012, so my guess is that this lead to Sumitomo's participation in Buu Kai.
Oh, interesting. That's kinda neat.
I never really looked into this honestly, so this is interesting and new to me; I'm very solidly not a fan of Sumitomo's Dragon Ball scoring, and I still don't get why they didn't bring Tokunaga back for Kai, TFC, Super, etc. (I'm given to understand GT was quite well-liked in Japan? People were just generally done with the series already, so people just didn't tune in, was always my understanding... So it just seems really odd to me that Tokunaga wasn't brought back. He did fantastic work), and the general incompetence around the production of this stuff can frustrate me, so I've never really taken the time to look into this stuff in depth.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

Post Reply