PAGE TOP

BACK

HOME

PAGE BOTTOM

Following up on this morning’s announcement leak are the first details about the new animated Dragon Ball movie (and what appears to be a specifically Dragon Ball Z movie) on the way, now confirmed for a Japanese theatrical release 30 March 2013.

The tagline for the movie (as first seen on the mystery countdown website) is 最強、始動。(“The mightiest make their move.”), followed by 全人類待望。かつてない興奮へー。 (“All humanity has been waiting. Toward an unprecedented excitement–.”).

The movie’s director has been announced as Masahiro Hosoda (細田雅弘), who directed several episodes during the Cell arc of the Dragon Ball Z TV series. The script will be written by Yūsuke Watanabe (渡辺雄介), a newcomer to the franchise, though one with an extensive and on-going history of work. Animation direction will be provided by Tadayoshi Yamamuro (山室直儀), a well-known veteran of the franchise responsible for a plethora of animation direction and promotional art work.

Also included is a special note from original manga author Akira Toriyama, who appears to be “deeply involved” with the script writing of a Dragon Ball movie for the first time:

珍しく、というより初めてアニメーションに脚本の段階から深く関わらせてもらいました。
なにしろ久しぶりだったので忘れていることも多かったのですが、さすが原作者、すぐにテンポだけは思い出すことができました。
今回の映画は、オリジナルの雰囲気はそのままに、ほんの少しだけ味付けを現代風にして、昔どおりの楽しい娯楽作品になると思います!

As it had been a while, there was a lot I’d forgotten, but as expected of the creator of the original work, I was soon able to get back into the tempo of things, at least.
For this film, while leaving the atmosphere of the original intact, we’ve added just a little bit of modern flavor, so I think it will be an enjoyable piece of entertainment, just like old times.

A new www.dragonball2013.com domain name is listed on the promotional art, which currently loads a mostly-blank page (filled with just a couple placeholder dashes at the moment).

Comments
  1. Avatar image
    dragonboxzthemovies

Biggest news since the ‘Orange Bricks’!!! :P

10 July 20129:18 PM EST
  2. Avatar image
    gotenz1

I’m…I’m just so happy. :D Glad to see Toriyama is involved. Since most of his recent stuff has been gag manga, this might feel more like Dragonball than Dragonball Z, but I’m sure the animation directors will take care of the great fights! A little less than a year, huh? Guess I’ll “train” (read: watch my Dboxes) until then.

10 July 20129:22 PM EST
  3. Avatar image
    dragonboxzthemovies

So, uhh, why don’t we have a special donation page set aside for flights to Japan for every forum member. We can all stay at Julian’s! :D :twisted:

10 July 20129:58 PM EST
  4. Avatar image
    SaiyaJedi

Do you seriously _want_ my wife to kill me?!

10 July 201210:43 PM EST
  5. Avatar image
    Chuquita

I feel so hopeful for this movie. The 08 special aesthetics of Cell arc Vegeta and Buu arc everyone else make me think that it’ll be a brand new storyline.

I wonder if they’ll have an orchestral score version of the original series music the way other anime series movies’ have done recently.

10 July 201211:06 PM EST
  6. Avatar image
    BlazingFiddlesticks

Oh geez, DBox. :lol:

But wow, DBZ Movie 14, legitimately. Given the movie’s track record this could be enjoyably okay or the modern-retro popcorn romp Toriyama’s hoping it’ll be, as far as ole’ Google “45% of it will make sense” translate is telling me.

10 July 201211:55 PM EST
  7. Avatar image
    themajinredcomet

Is it confirmed if it going to be theatrical release? :D

11 July 201212:51 AM EST
  8. Avatar image
    SaiyaJedi

Yes. The image confirms a “super” wide release in Japanese theaters next year.

11 July 20121:10 AM EST
  9. Avatar image
    songoshen

Made my day. xD So Toriyama is also involved… :D Even better! Too bad 2013 is a long way off. Daaaaanng…

11 July 20121:56 AM EST
  10. Avatar image
    rukura

OH! MY! KAMI! :D

Greatest news since the Jump Special!

11 July 20125:45 AM EST
  11. saiyangoku

The jump website still counting down. May I know where this image come from? weekly shonenjump.?

11 July 20126:45 AM EST
  12. Avatar image
    SaiyaJedi

Leaked from a source in Japan, and found its way to a French-language website that’s fairly reliable. It may be from Jump, or it may be intended for the movie website when it goes live on Saturday. It checks out, though; if this is a fake, then it’d have to be a deliberate act of misdirection from Toei Animation, especially given the link that has appeared nowhere else and which goes to a placeholder page for a 2013 Dragon Ball film on Toei’s own website.

11 July 20128:42 AM EST
  13. saiyangoku

In fact I never doubt the image.I only want to know the source.
    So now, the source of this image is a mystery?

11 July 201211:00 AM EST
  14. Avatar image
    wobbuffet

It’s from Weekly Shonen Jump. The magazine is published on Saturdays, but they usually leak every Wednesday or Thursday. It leaked strangely early this week.

11 July 20121:38 PM EST
  15. Avatar image
    craddle

“filled with just a couple placeholder dashes at the moment”

Count them, 7 dashes. Yes, 7!

I really hope this movie turns out well. It looks very promising so far.

11 July 20123:34 PM EST
  16. Avatar image
    sparkypantsmcgee

“It’s rare, or I should say, it’s the first time, that I’ve been deeply involved with the animation from the scriptwriting stage.”

That’s awesome! I’m very much looking forward to this. Not to mention this totally caught me off guard.

11 July 201211:56 PM EST
  17. Avatar image
    bleed0range

Oh. My. God!

I’m so so excited! The Jump special in 08 was pretty great because it felt like old dragon ball because of Toriyama’s involvement (even if it was loose)… so an entire new movie with his involvement. The next best thing to getting a new series!

Between the 08 special and the new Bardock special from this past Christmas (and to a lesser extent the re-make of Plan to Eradicate)…. this has been something I was hoping to hear for a long time. But I started to think it’d never happen. AND YET IT IS HAPPENING!!!!

YEAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!