Kanzenshuu – The Podcast
Your one and only Dragon Ball podcast!
Subscribe & Discuss
Each episode, the Kanzenshuu staff discuss the latest news in the world of Dragon Ball from across the globe before heading into a core topic — whether it be an in-depth discussion of the way in which the story and franchise was produced, theories for in-universe scenarios and “What If?” scenes, interviews with those actually involved with the franchise, thorough reviews of video games or home video releases, we have you covered! We wrap things up with the month’s upcoming releases, questions from the listeners, and much more! We regularly have contests, broadcast live (watch our Twitter and Facebook!), and have a great time sharing our love of the Dragon Ball franchise with you all each and every week.
Podcast Episode #0391 — 24 November 2015
Ten years ago we started our podcast as a way to expand to new audiences and have fun while developing new content for the website. Nearly 400 episodes later, we are still at it! This week on the show, the original duo of Mike and Julian reflect on the news stories from a decade ago and what the podcast has contributed both to the website as a larger whole and to our own lives as fans of Dragon Ball.
Episode #0391! VegettoEX and Julian reflect on ten years of the podcast. What were the big stories from ten years ago, what products had not even been released yet at that time, and what was going on in fandom? We also discuss what the podcast has meant to the website and to our own lives! Join us for a bit of self-indulgent reminiscence.
Podcast Episode #0390 — 16 November 2015
The podcast is our chance to be a bit more personable and editorialize on the news… and this week’s episode may be the ultimate example of this show format. We at Kanzenshuu have been extremely disappointed in two items over the last week or so: (1) fandom’s incredulous response to the audacity of any company other than FUNimation to announce an English dub of Dragon Ball Super, and (2) a particular Spanish website’s unbelievably stubborn refusal to issue a correction on a major news item mistranslation.
Punches will not be pulled. Filters are off. This is our cathartic decompression and we’re gonna rant like it’s 1999.
Episode #0390! VegettoEX and Hujio hold nothing back as they criticize fandom’s response to a “Dragon Ball Super” English dub announcement for Asia. We also track the entire story behind a major news item mistranslation: there was no new movie announced for a trilogy of films during a convention in Spain, and the evidence is right there on the table for anyone to analyze.
- NEWS: Champa & Vados Voice Actors Revealed in “Dragon Ball Super”
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball Super” Hits DVD Rental Market in Japan
- NEWS: Japanese McDonald’s x “Dragon Ball Super” Happy Meal Campaign
- NEWS: Toonami Asia to Premiere Exclusive “Super” English Dub in 2016
- NEWS: New Dragon Ball Movie Confirmation Rumor Debunked
- LISTENINGS: Kirblog – The “Beerus Saga” of DBSuper
Podcast Episode #0389 — 15 October 2015
The Dragon Ball Super manga has been a fascinating companion to the TV series. Originally debuting within the pages of V-Jump back in June (in the August 2015 issue, two weeks ahead of the TV series’ premiere), Toyotarō’s manga was our first look at the upcoming story. While the first chapter was essentially a (relatively-faithful) adaptation of the first episode, the second, third, and fourth chapters have hugely expanded on the story by introducing Champa and his attendant… neither of whom have been seen at all in the TV series! Tune in for our take on the promotional manga, its strengths and weaknesses, and what its future may hold for fans.
Episode #0389! VegettoEX and Hujio discuss the “Dragon Ball Super” manga by Toyotarō published in V-Jump each month. How does the series differ from the TV version in terms of pacing and content? What’s the deal with Champa, and why has he still not been included in the TV series despite being fully integrated into the manga? Video game news and “Dragon Ball Super” updates round out our show!
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball Heroes” 5th Anniversary Live Stream Recap
- NEWS: “Extreme Butōden” Receives Patch 1.1.0 in Japan With New Content
- NEWS: Saikyō Jump Lays Out Upcoming “Dragon Ball Super” Story Line
- NEWS: Animage Magazine Unveils “Dragon Ball Super” October Schedule
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball Super” Voice Update: Naoki Tatsuta as Kaiō & Narrator
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball Super” Manga Moves Ahead with Champa Material
- GUIDE: “Dragon Ball Super” TV Series
- GUIDE: “Dragon Ball Super” Manga
Podcast Episode #0388 — 23 September 2015
With Dragon Ball taking inspiration from Journey to the West so early on (see the article in our “DB30YEARS” anniversary magazine for more information!), it should be no surprise to hear that many names in the series are Chinese in origin. From Son Goku to Shenlong to Chiaotzu and beyond, tune in for a crash course in transliteration and adapting names between three entirely separate languages!
Episode #0388! VegettoEX and Herms detail the Chinese name origins for many Dragon Ball characters, along with how to best represent their names with our English language alphabet. Who is this “Jiaozi” character and why would it be somewhat ridiculous to write the dragon’s name as “Shenron”…? Tune in for a crash course in language adaptations!
- NEWS: “Chōzetsu ☆ Dynamic!” (“Dragon Ball Super” OP) CD Single Cover Art
- NEWS: Animage Magazine Unveils “Dragon Ball Super” September Schedule
- NEWS: Second “Dragon Ball Super” Ending Theme Song Announced
- NEWS: FUNimation “Resurrection ‘F'” Home Release Coming October 20
- NEWS: “Extreme Butōden” (3DS) Japanese 10th Week Sales Figures
Podcast Episode #0387 — 11 August 2015
After two premiere events in Los Angeles and what felt like an impromptu premiere event in New York City, FUNimation has finally unleashed the 2015 Dragon Ball Z film, Resurrection ‘F’ (Fukkatsu no “F” or Revival of “F”) upon their North American audience. The film is wrapping up its short theatrical release, so tune in for our take on the New York red carpet event, the film itself, and its English dub!
Episode #0387! VegettoEX, Meri, and Hujio discuss FUNimation’s English dub release of the 2015 theatrical film, “Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F'”. Coming from their work on “Dragon Ball Z Kai” and “Battle of Gods”, does the new movie’s dub hold itself to the same level? A brief appearance from Chris Sabat also provides some insight on the voice casting and script!
- NEWS: Free “Extreme Butoden” Demo Hits EU & NA Nintendo 3DS August 6
- NEWS: Saikyō Jump Unveils “Dragon Ball Super” August Schedule
- NEWS: “J-Stars Victory Vs.+” July 2015 PlayStation Network Top Sellers
- REVIEW: “Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F'” (English Theatrical Run)
- GUIDE: “Revival of ‘F'”
- CONTENT: New “Pre-Dragon Ball” Interviews: 1980 “Pafu” & “Monthly Starlog”
Podcast Episode #0386 — 03 August 2015
It’s time for a little out-of-universe discussion about in-universe topics! This week on the show we reflect upon the “Strength Checker“… which isn’t even a proper section of our website (it’s just a forum thread), yet somehow has risen through the ranks as one of our highest-linked resources.
Episode #0386! VegettoEX and Herms discuss the “Strength Checker”, a forum thread dedicated to cataloging each and every manga statement relating to the strength or power of any given character. What purpose does such a reference serve, and what can we learn about our fandom from this?
- NEWS: “Hello Hello Hello” Full Length Music Video Released
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball XENOVERSE” Online Functionality: Not Going Down Yet
- NEWS: Amazon Lists Manga UK “Resurrection ‘F'” Release For October 2015
- “Strength Checker” Forum Posts
Podcast Episode #0385 — 21 July 2015
With Dragon Ball Super taking a week off for Toei’s special 27-hour programming event, we took the opportunity to spotlight one fan’s dedication and creativity: the “Daily Dragon Ball” project by Joey Weiser.
Episode #0385! VegettoEX interviews Joey Weiser, professional illustrator and longtime fan responsible for the “Daily Dragon Ball” project. By forcing a daily project upon yourself, what can you learn about Akira Toriyama’s art style and work ethic? Tune in for the interview, Bandai’s latest video game news (including an innovative NFC card battle game), and more!
- “Dragon Ball Super” Episode Guide
- NEWS: Bandai Announces “IC Carddass Dragon Ball” Trading Card Game
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle” (Mobile) English Version Released
- NEWS: “Hello Hello Hello” (“Dragon Ball Super” ED1) CD Single Details
- Daily Dragon Ball @ Tumblr
- Joey Weiser’s Official Website
- Joey Weiser’s Official Twitter
Podcast Episode #0384 — 13 July 2015
It’s here! The first two episodes of Dragon Ball Super have aired in Japan, and so it’s time for the Kanzenshuu staff to dive in.
Episode #0384! VegettoEX, Hujio, and Herms discuss the first two episodes of the new “Dragon Ball Super” TV series! Original manga author Akira Toriyama lends his guiding hand to a new story, but are we also heading into a retread of other, more recent new material? Our thoughts, our analysis, your questions… it’s a super exciting time to jump into a new era!
Podcast Episode #0383 — 29 June 2015
We are less than a week away from Dragon Ball Super…! Even with the various new productions over the last decade, nothing comes close to fandom’s excitement over this new TV series. Whereas with a movie we know everything about it within an hour or two of watching it, with a TV series it’s a week-to-week guessing game. What will happen next?! This is our last episode before the new series begins, and our hype cannot possibly be contained!
Episode #0383! VegettoEX and Hujio discuss “Dragon Ball Super” as we sit less than a week out from its debut. Where in the timeline will it take place, and how will this new story affect the other recent productions? Will “Battle of Gods” still “happen” in the overall story? Tons of news and thoughts from you wrap up the show!
- NEWS: “Extreme Butōden” Coming to Europe & America October 2015
- NEWS: “Zenkai Battle Royale” Game Receiving New “Zenkai Battle” Update
- NEWS: “Zenkai Battle” Receiving New Team Rematch Option
- NEWS: FUNimation Debuts “Resurrection ‘F'” Official English Trailer
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball Super: Super Start Guide” Cover Revealed
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball Super” Twitter Countdown: 10 Days
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball Super” First Episode Details in Weekly Jump
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball Super” Twitter Countdown: 6 Days
- NEWS: New Fuji TV “Dragon Ball Super” Website Posts 30-Second Preview
Podcast Episode #0382 — 22 June 2015
It is the calm before the storm: though we received the name of a new character coming our way in Dragon Ball Super, the news has otherwise been relatively light. This last week was a perfect opportunity to dive in to Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden on the Japanese Nintendo 3DS. Come for the news, stay for the game review!
Episode #0382! VegettoEX and Herms discuss the reveal of “Champa” for “Dragon Ball Super” before diving in to early impressions of “Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden” for the Japanese Nintendo 3DS. While the new game invokes the old Super Famicom series, does it live up to the pedigree set by both the old games as well as 2011’s “Ultimate Butoden” on the original Nintendo DS? Did Arc System Works deliver a technical masterpiece, or just phone it in on the portable space?
- Manga Guide Addition: “Dragon Ball Super” Adaptation
- NEWS: New “Dragon Ball Super” Character Revealed: “Champa”
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden” (3DS) Unlock Codes
- NEWS: “Extreme Butōden” (3DS) Japanese 1st Week Sales Figures
- Podcast Episode #0311: “Super Butōden” Retrospective