Kanzenshuu – The Podcast
Your one and only Dragon Ball podcast!
Subscribe & Discuss
Each episode, the Kanzenshuu staff discuss the latest news in the world of Dragon Ball from across the globe before heading into a core topic — whether it be an in-depth discussion of the way in which the story and franchise was produced, theories for in-universe scenarios and “What If?” scenes, interviews with those actually involved with the franchise, thorough reviews of video games or home video releases, we have you covered! We wrap things up with the month’s upcoming releases, questions from the listeners, and much more! We regularly have contests, broadcast live (watch our Twitter and Facebook!), and have a great time sharing our love of the Dragon Ball franchise with you all each and every week.
Podcast Episode #0370 — 23 September 2014
This week has basically been all-XENOVERSE all the time! We have a short episode for you this time around, but it is a great catch-up on all the latest news for the game as well as experiences with the recent Japanese network test on the PlayStation 3. Tune in for the full scoop!
Episode #0370! VegettoEX dives into all the latest news on the upcoming “Dragon Ball XENOVERSE” video game (Towa and Mira from “Dragon Ball Online”, PC announcement, etc.) before reviewing the game’s recent Japanese network test. How much is the game an MMO in comparison to being a fighting game and how does it feel so far? Your thoughts and a special musical treat from Vitek round out the episode!
- NEWS: Raditz & Paikuhan Joining “Zenkai Battle Royale” Roster
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle” Smartphone Game Announced
- NEWS: Shueisha Unveils Full “Shōnen Jump+” Digital Strategy
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball XENOVERSE” Coming to PC/Steam
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball XENOVERSE” Reveals in November 2014 V-Jump
- NEWS: Second “Dragon Ball XENOVERSE” Promotional Video
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball XENOVERSE” Tokyo Game Show 2014 Extended Trailer
- CONTENT: Akira Toriyama Comments on “Super Dragon Ball Z” (Arcade)
- CONTENT: “Super Dragon Ball Z” Production Team Comment Translations
- Vitek’s “Anime Music Experience EP 2.1 – EP” @ iTunes
Podcast Episode #0369 — 16 September 2014
We have a wealth of content regarding the 2005 (arcade) / 2006 (PlayStation 2) video game Super Dragon Ball Z coming to the website! We kicked things off yesterday with an original sketch and quote from none other than Akira Toriyama himself looking forward to the game’s official debut. There are even more quotes coming from various members of the game’s production staff, so stay tuned for those.
In conjunction with this podcast episode, we also have a massive addition to our “Rumor Guide” that longtime fans may be able to already guess. This week on the show, we provide a behind-the-scenes look at how we got to the bottom of that rumor: did Akira Toriyama actually design the new version of Mecha Freeza?
Episode #0369! VegettoEX and Julian dive into the archives to determine once and for all if Akira Toriyama had any involvement in Mecha Freeza’s upgraded design for “Super Dragon Ball Z”. A recap of a trip to the “Dragon Ball Meets Science” exhibit at Nagoya City Science Museum, coverage of upcoming video game updates, and more wraps up our show for the week!
- “Dragon Ball Meets Science” Photos
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball Heroes” JM6 Promotional Videos
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball Heroes” Four Year Anniversary Stream Oct. 5th
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball XENOVERSE” Coming to Tokyo Game Show 2014
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball XENOVERSE” Network Test (JP/EU PS3) Updates
- NEWS: Third “Dragon Ball Kai” Majin Buu Arc Ending Theme Announced
- NEWS: Son Goku & Luffy Help Tease New “Shonen Jump+” Project
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball Kai” 2015 Calendar
- NEWS: “Dimension of DRAGONBALL” Piccolo Figure Formally Unveiled
- “Rumor Guide” Addition: Mecha Freeza in “Super Dragon Ball Z”
- Akira Toriyama Comments on “Super Dragon Ball Z” (Arcade)
Podcast Episode #0368 — 26 August 2014
The extended edition of Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods is in the news all over again courtesy of its home release announcement for both North America and the UK. This week on the show, in addition to some Dragon Ball XENOVERSE news goodness, we take a look at the twenty minutes of extra film footage. What helps the film flow more evenly, what has been added that fills in a few holes, and how does it compare to the original theatrical cut? Tune in for the full scoop!
Be warned: the discussion expects that you have seen at least the theatrical version of Battle of Gods!
Episode #0368! VegettoEX and Julian discuss the extended version of “Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods” from its original Fuji TV airing earlier in 2014. With a home release of this version planned for both North America and the UK, we dive into the extra footage to discuss its benefits to the film’s narrative flow. “Dragon Ball XENOVERSE” news also abounds with previews of its character creation mode and upcoming network test.
- “Dragon Ball XENOVERSE” Updates in October 2014 V-Jump
- “Dragon Ball XENOVERSE” Updated Original Character Screen Shots
- “Dragon Ball XENOVERSE” Network Test Initial Information
- “Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2″ (JP 3DS) 2nd Week Sales
- North American “Battle of Gods” Home Release October 7th
- UK “Battle of Gods” Listings Indicate Extended Version Included
- Pre-order “Battle of Gods” @ Amazon
- Pre-order “Battle of Gods” @ RightStuf
- “Battle of Gods” Movie Guide Page
- “Battle of Gods” Special Extended Edition Documentation
Podcast Episode #0367 — 12 August 2014
The worldwide celebration for Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods continued with last week’s North American theatrical debut for the English dubbed version of the film from FUNimation. We had a good idea of what to expect thanks to our buddies checking it out during the red carpet debut last month in California, but we had to check it out for ourselves!
Episode #0367! VegettoEX, Hujio, and Herms review the North American theatrical English dub debut for the film “Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods”. Has FUNimation’s experience and new initiatives with “Kai” set the stage for this film? What leftovers from the early days made their way into the final product? Listen in for the full scoop!
- “Battle of Gods” North American Debut Coverage
- “Battle of Gods” Grosses $1 Million Opening Night in the U.S.
- “Battle of Gods” Special Extended Version Documentation
- What is the name of the God of Destruction? (It’s “Beerus”!)
Podcast Episode #0366 — 21 July 2014
Back on Episode #0288 of our podcast, we provided a primer detailing some of the most important Dr. Slump characters (in conjunction with their crossover during the Red Ribbon Army arc of Dragon Ball). With the impending release of Discotek’s Dr. Slump Movies 1-5 DVD set — along with some of our own work on said product! — we only thought it was appropriate to revisit Toriyama’s original famous series. This time around, we took a look back at some of the ideas that Toriyama first used in Dr. Slump and later borrowed, adapted, or sometimes even flat-out copied for Dragon Ball so many years later!
We are also giving away a free copy of the Dr. Slump movie set!
See below for full details.
Episode #0366! VegettoEX and Herms discuss several ideas that originated in “Dr. Slump” that Akira Toriyama either revisited or flat-out recycled later in “Dragon Ball”. A mad scientist with a spy robot collecting data on a hero so that he can create killer androids? A tournament to decide the strongest person on Earth? A final villain who happens to be a “majin”? Which series is this?! Buy Discotek’s “Dr. Slump” Movies 1-5 set for more fun!
- Majin Buu Arc “Full Color” Akira Toriyama Q&A Translations
- NEWS: New Broli Transformation Teased for “Dragon Ball Heroes” JM6
- NEWS: “Dragon Ball: XENOVERSE” September 2014 V-Jump Updates
- NEWS: V-Jump Unveils New “Dragon Ball Z” Movie In Development
- NEWS: Tagline for the Upcoming 2015 “Dragon Ball Z” Movie Revealed
- NEWS: Toei Opens Official Website For 2015 Dragon Ball Z Movie
- NEWS: Tadayoshi Yamamuro Announced as Director of New “Z” Movie
- Animation Styles Guide: Tadayoshi Yamamuro
- Podcast Episode #0305: Tadayoshi Yamamuro Profile
- Podcast Episode #0288: “Dr. Slump” Primer
- “Dr. Slump” Movies 1-5 DVD Set @ Amazon
- “Dr. Slump” Movies 1-5 DVD Set @ RightStuf
- Entry participant must possess a Twitter account (available for free at twitter.com).
- Contest open to worldwide participants, with the understanding that the prize is a North American release.
- One entry per individual.
- Contest is open until Monday, July 28 @ 11:59 p.m. eastern time.
- Content of entry must be a Dr. Slump and/or Dragon Ball-related joke that includes a pun.
- Entry should begin with @kanzenshuu and end with the hashtag #slumpun
- Entry must be a single tweet in length, including the above handle and hashtag inclusions.
- One winner will be selected by the Kanzenshuu staff and will receive one Dr. Slump Movies 1-5 (NTSC, Region 1) DVD set.
- These rules may be updated/edited at any time and at the sole discretion of the Kanzenshuu staff.
Podcast Episode #0365 — 15 July 2014
Our “Tidbits” section is one that we love a lot; it gives us a great place to collect random bits of information that do not make sense to flesh out into an entire multi-page “guide”, but still allow us to document some really great material. An upcoming addition to the section will cover a wealth of information documenting the fates of certain characters in the Dragon Ball series. Some of these tidbits come from original manga author Akira Toriyama himself, while others come from various other production committee members and guide books. Tune in this week for a sneak-peek (sneak-listen?) at one of our upcoming pages!
Episode #0365! VegettoEX and Hujio discuss various bits of information detailing the fates of characters in the Dragon Ball franchise. Who is still out there drifting through space? What kinds of jobs do some of the old friends take up during times of peace? All this plus a last-minute announcement of a new movie coming in 2015 comes together to form your show for the week!
- NEWS: Digital Japanese Versions of “Dragon Ball SD 2″ & “Jaco” Released
- NEWS: Glénat Releasing “Dragon Ball SD”, “Jaco”, & More in France
- NEWS: Magic Sound Records Producing “Dragon Ball Kai” Buu Arc Music
- NEWS: V-Jump Unveils New “Dragon Ball Z” Movie In Development
- Akira Toriyama’s Contributions to the Anime
- “Dragon Ball GT” Ending Analysis
- “Dragon Ball Online” Timeline Retranslation
- Official Kanzenshuu Battle of Gods Theatrical Get-Togethers
Podcast Episode #0364 — 04 July 2014
Here at Kanzenshuu, we covered the Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods original Japanese theatrical release back on Episode #0328 of our podcast followed by the Japanese home release back on Episode #0344. This time around on the show it’s time for our third major “official Battle of Gods release” celebration: North America!
This week’s episode is all about setting up our home country for the movie. A trio of FUNimation voice actors/directors — Sean Schemmel, Christopher Sabat, and Justin Cook — join us to talk about the movie itself, its themes, some of the casting choices, and much more. To wrap things up, our buddy Josh joins us to talk about the “red carpet” event leading up to the debut of the film’s English dub.
Episode #0364! “Battle of Gods” has officially hit North American shores with an exclusive debut in California one month ahead of its nationwide release. FUNimation voice actors and directors Sean Schemmel, Christopher Sabat, and Justin Cook join us for an exclusive interview about the movie, its themes, casting choices, and more. Josh joins us to talk about the “red carpet” event and debut of the film before we wrap things up by setting the stage for next month’s larger theatrical release.
Podcast Episode #0363 — 18 June 2014
Once again, Dragon Ball Kai is turning out to be an absolute mess, this time courtesy of its Majin Buu arc revival/extension.
We recently detailed how the version currently being broadcast on Fuji TV in Japan appears to be a further-edited-down-version from what is being sent out to international licensees. This time around on our podcast, we go back to the beginning to break down what exactly Dragon Ball Kai is and was supposed to be, how we got to where we are today, and what may be the cause of this fractured production.
Episode #0363! VegettoEX and Hujio break down the current state of “Dragon Ball Kai” both in Japan and internationally. What was the “refreshed” version of “Dragon Ball Z” supposed to be, what did it become, and how did we get to this point? Why are there two versions of the Majin Buu arc being produced? Our thoughts, your thoughts, and a whole slew of information break the whole situation down!
- Multiple Versions of “Dragon Ball Kai” Majin Buu arc in Production
- “Dragon Ball Kai” Majin Buu Arc Production Tidbits
- Episode Guide – “Dragon Ball Kai”
Podcast Episode #0362 — 06 May 2014
It has been a crazy week for in-universe informational bombshells from original manga author Akira Toriyama. From the Buu arc-related tidbits in the June 2014 Saikyō Jump Q&A to the Artificial Human back-stories in the “Full Color” comics, all of fandom has scurried to go back and compare details to see what fits. This week on the show, we dive into these new bits of information and ask a very important question:
Is this what we want Toriyama doing?
Episode #0362! VegettoEX and Herms break down all of the recent in-universe bombshells from Akira Toriyama. From Buu to Kaioshin to the Artificial Humans, we have new information on pretty much everyone. Is this what we want Toriyama doing with his world all these years later? Your thoughts on the subject and our thanks to Koji Yada wrap up the episode.
- Voice Actor Koji Yada Passes Away
- “Dragon Ball Online” Timeline Retranslation
- New Translation: June 2014 Saikyō Jump “Twel-Buu Mysteries”
- New Translations: Full Color Comics Cell Arc Q&As Vols. 4-6
Enjoy! Discuss this episode on the Kanzenshuu forum.
Podcast Episode #0361 — 29 April 2014
It’s all Bardock all the time this week on the show! Our buddy Lance joins us to really dissect the character across all of the primary media he comes from: the 1990 TV special, the 2011 manga/anime “sequel” to the TV special, and the recent bonus chapter.
Who was Bardock? Who is Bardock now? Can we even answer these questions…?
Episode #0361! VegettoEX and Gaffer Tape dissect the character of Bardock. Who did we think this character was, what has changed about him over the years, and can he even be considered one character anymore? The week’s news and “Who’s That Character?” wrap up the show!
- “Battle of Z” PlayStation Golden Week Sale
- “Battle of Z” North American Vita Version JP Voices DLC
- “Ultimate Mission 2″ (JP 3DS) Coming August 2014
- Dragon Ball Science Event in Nagoya This Summer
- “Dear Zarathustra” Full Length Music Video Released
- REVIEW: “Jaco the Galactic Patrolman” + “Dragon Ball Minus”
- Lance and “Dragon Ball Dissection” @ YouTube
Enjoy the show! Discuss this episode on the Kanzenshuu forum.