The 32-bit generation of video games kicked off a trend that died with the series for a few years, but started right back up again during the series’ second-wave in Japan: full-motion video openings!
In light of the Ultimate Blast opening looking to be one of the best we have ever seen, we decided to take a look back at how far we have come. From amazing 2D openings to awkward 3D rendering, the franchise has seen just about every type of opening sequence thrown at it. Listen in for a game-by-game opening sequence analysis, as well as the “Top 5 Lousiest Openings”…! Download the show now, or head on over to the podcast page for more information or to subscribe.
Episode #0273! VegettoEX and Meri, in light of what appears to be a fantastic opening to “Ultimate Blast” due out this month, take a look back at all of the major video game openings the franchise has received over the years. From the 32-bit generation up through today, there have been a lot of highs and lows. Are the classic ones still the best of all time? A surprise return of the Top 5 list reveals what Meri considers the lousiest video game openings!
- “Ultimate Blast” Footage (Off-Screen) @ YouTube
- “Shin Butoden” Opening @ YouTube
- Meri’s Top 5 Lousiest Game Openings @ Daizenshuu EX
- FUNimation DBZ TV Dragon Box 7 @ Amazon
- “Kai” Season One (DVD) @ Amazon
- “Kai” Season One (Blu-ray) @ Amazon
- “Ultimate Tenkaichi” (PS3) @ Amazon
- “Ultimate Tenkaichi” (360) @ Amazon