When we last left J Legend Retsuden — the upcoming, Japanese, Nintendo 3DS compilation of older Jump-property-based video games — another Dragon Ball game was being included as a bonus download with first-run orders.
This week’s 2013 #46 issue of Weekly Shōnen Jump in Japan reveals another inclusion for the compilation: Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 2 from the Super Famicom.
Originally released at the end of 1993, Super Butōden 2 — a favorite here at Kanzenshuu! — greatly expanded upon the first fighting game for the franchise with refined controls, new characters (including two unlockable characters), new background stages, and a branching story mode incorporating the Cell arc as well as Dragon Ball Z Movie 9.
Jump sadly notes that this will be the final inclusion in the compilation, bringing the total to 10 games:
- Dragon Ball: Shenron no Nazo (Famicom)
- Dragon Ball: Daimaō Fukkatsu (Famicom)
- Dragon Ball Z: Kyōshū! Saiya-jin (Famicom)
- Saint Seiya: Gold Legend (Famicom)
- Saint Seiya: Gold Legend Finale (Famicom)
- Charge! Men’s Private School (Famicom)
- Go! Go! Ackman 3 (Super Famicom)
- Yū Yū Hakusho (Super Famicom)
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 2 (Super Famicom)
- Dragon Ball Z: Gekishin Furīza!! (Famicom; download-only bonus)
J Legend Retsuden is due out exclusively in Japan 07 November 2013 for ¥4,980. Play-Asia is currently offering the game for pre-order at $47.49 with free shipping until 24 October 2013.
Be sure to check out Episode #0311 of our podcast for an exhaustive retrospective of all the mainline Super Butōden games, along with a few of its later and more recent successors.