With Dragon Ball taking inspiration from Journey to the West so early on (see the article in our “DB30YEARS” anniversary magazine for more information!), it should be no surprise to hear that many names in the series are Chinese in origin. From Son Goku to Shenlong to Chiaotzu and beyond, tune in for a crash course in transliteration and adapting names between three entirely separate languages!
Episode #0388! VegettoEX and Herms detail the Chinese name origins for many Dragon Ball characters, along with how to best represent their names with our English language alphabet. Who is this “Jiaozi” character and why would it be somewhat ridiculous to write the dragon’s name as “Shenron”…? Tune in for a crash course in language adaptations!
- NEWS: “Chōzetsu ☆ Dynamic!” (“Dragon Ball Super” OP) CD Single Cover Art
- NEWS: Animage Magazine Unveils “Dragon Ball Super” September Schedule
- NEWS: Second “Dragon Ball Super” Ending Theme Song Announced
- NEWS: FUNimation “Resurrection ‘F'” Home Release Coming October 20
- NEWS: “Extreme Butōden” (3DS) Japanese 10th Week Sales Figures